Tracking Down My Great Grandfather

nnealey1

Cadet
Took a trip to Ft. Pillow today. I had been told for years that my great-great grandfather took part in the a battle. I've been trying to track this down. From what I've read he was in Neely's Calvary Regiment. I learned today that he may have been off chasing Hurst instead of at Ft. Pillow. My wife didn't enjoy the walls (she's very pregnant at the moment, man there are some hills at that place) I know many of you spend a great deal of time and effort looking at all aspects. I'd love to track his movements throughout the war. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Nick

Took a trip to Ft. Pillow today. I had been told for years that my great-great grandfather took part in the a battle. I've been trying to track this down. From what I've read he was in Neely's Calvary Regiment. I learned today that he may have been off chasing Hurst instead of at Ft. Pillow. My wife didn't enjoy the walls (she's very pregnant at the moment, man there are some hills at that place) I know many of you spend a great deal of time and effort looking at all aspects. I'd love to track his movements throughout the war. Any ideas?
Thanks
Nick
Welcome!
I'm not familiar with Neely's Cavalry. But if you have your great great granfather's name and some other basic information- date of birth, date of death, spouse, children, where lived, etc.- you can start with the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldiers-and-sailors-database.htm
Subscription services Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.com offer free trial period so you might try them as well. A quick google serarch for Neely's Cavalry gave this https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/14th_Regiment,_Tennessee_Cavalry_(Neely's)
Good luck!

Thanks.

Nick
I would try to find his regiment/companies Record of Events. These can be found in the Supplement to the Offical Reports or maybe on Fold3.

I've seen this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 82
Cool....on a side note are you a husker fan?

Fold3 is a pay site. The Supplements to the OR are not online, you would have to visit a university library to find them. Or you could search for the Record of Events and perhaps someone has them online.

Back