Lee Tracing the lineage from Robert the Bruce King of the Scots to Robert E Lee Confederate General

Having said that, my great grandmother would have been largely interested in who was lowland and who was highland Scots and that's it.

That’s too funny! I had a grandmother “interested” in the exact same thing!! It’s good to know I’m not alone in having had that odd experience with old family members!! So thanks for sharing!!!

As far as I am aware Uylesses S Grant wasn't of scottish descent his ancestors came from England. and as for my Grants, much to my shame they for for the English King. Had I been alive then I would have been a Jacobite, it all depends on whether you were a left footer or a right footer as we say in Scotland and I am a rebel at heart

As far as I am aware Uylesses S Grant wasn't of scottish descent his ancestors came from England. and as for my Grants, much to my shame they for for the English King. Had I been alive then I would have been a Jacobite, it all depends on whether you were a left footer or a right footer as we say in Scotland and I am a rebel at heart

We met a few "rebels" when we were in Scotland last year, including the charming old gentleman we stayed with in Munlochy. I love the highlands and understand why the people there thought they were worth fighting for.

The following was extracted from the Southern Society Historical Papers.
By Professor Wm. Winston Fontaine, of Louisville.

www.acwscots.co.uk/debruce.htm

What are your thoughts

Bootneck

Why bother?

I once traced my family name back to Scotland and England to two hill tribes, the Hamels and the Tones. My theory is one tribe raided down from Scotland and took a lady from the English side and volia! Hamilton of today!

I even read once the ancient Hamilton's were placed in charge of the Crown Jewels in the Tower of London, hence why we hurriedly made the trip to the colonies as perhaps some were caught trying to boost the Crown or some such.

The hard fact is, none of my ancestors left any loot to ease my path through life, so....

Unionblue

Back