Toy Soldiers

I believe the proper quote for your dilemma would be "He who defends everything defends nothing.":byebye:

Yup, that's what comes from the lack of a Prussian heritage. Gave me a healthy respect for her tactical skills, though - knowledge that has served me well for almost 45 years! :roflmao:

Were there ever any Civil War naval toys /models akin to the pre war Tremo (spelling) modern models in the 30s and Triang minic in the 50s over here. I seem to remember the name Scruby (?) but maybe that was in the 60s or later.
I remember a kid down the street had this 60's kit,
Pyro B257-150 MonMerrim.JPG

We convinced him to let us use them in our backyard "battle" one afternoon.
The CSS Virginia only lasted until the first firecracker was lit in one of open gun ports.
If I remember, the USS monitor lasted about a week. I think someone's little sister stepped on it. :cry:

I remember a kid down the street had this 60's kit

I had one of those. I remember there were 3 or 4 pieces to the Virginia's sides - once you got them together, the top wouldn't fit well. :banghead: And the instructions said to paint the ram black or RED - guess the latter was supposed to simulate rusty iron.

Dunno what happened to those two and all the other models I made as a kid - parents probably disposed of them at some point.

Were there ever any Civil War naval toys /models akin to the pre war Tremo (spelling) modern models in the 30s and Triang minic in the 50s over here. I seem to remember the name Scruby (?) but maybe that was in the 60s or later.

Well, there was Jack Scruby who made and sold toy soldiers, primarily for wargaming:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Scruby

HistoriFigs is reproducing his figures - they do list some generic ships but I dunno whether Scruby sculpted them. Again, primarily for wargaming:

http://historifigs.com/oldsite/American_Civil_War.htm#ACW_Ships

Well, there was Jack Scruby who made and sold toy soldiers, primarily for wargaming:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Scruby

HistoriFigs is reproducing his figures - they do list some generic ships but I dunno whether Scruby sculpted them. Again, primarily for wargaming:

http://historifigs.com/oldsite/American_Civil_War.htm#ACW_Ships
Thanks for that. It's possible I have a couple of his ships in my collection then, as I have some 1/1200 models that seem t meet the description.

View attachment 37916

The CSS Virginia only lasted until the first firecracker was lit in one of open gun ports.
If I remember, the USS monitor lasted about a week. I think someone's little sister stepped on it. :cry:
I had the same kit - both models are long gone , sadly.

View attachment 37916

I never had the Merrimac/Virginia but the Monitor is still sitting on my bookcase, now after a half-century! ( They were also sold separately for 98 cents each. ) I have lost or misplaced the post-battle smokestacks that were included as an "extra" though.

View attachment 37916

That's what happened to all my models. Hey, after you've built 'em what else ya gonna do with 'em ?

Brings back memories of some other things I miss: M80s and cherry bombs

You guys had some really neat sets, all I ever had were the plastic green WWII soldiers. (I feel so abused)
I preferred the (disposable) green WWII plastic soldiers and so did my parents. I liked to blow them up with firecrackers and lighter fluid. One could buy a whole cellophane bag of them quite reasonably.

I must say that I am an only child too, and grew up with all the mentioned playsets. When the Sears and JC Penny Christmas Catalogs came out, I remember spending hours going over both cover to cover. The marx playsets of the late 50's were almost identical to the 70's versions.
View attachment 21589

I had that one. The 200 piece. It was great. I loved it.

You guys had some really neat sets, all I ever had were the plastic green WWII soldiers. (I feel so abused)
Me too, but I also had packs of Revolutionary war plastic soldiers. Of course the Americans painted in blue, the British painted in red. Also, had knights made of plastic painted in various colors. The good knights in white, the bad knights in black, other knights I guess neutral painted from blue to red. Also cavalry versus Indians. The cavalry painted a torquois blue and of course the Indians. Never really had plastic Civil War soldiers but had metal ones my grandmother but for me, and sent them to me. Wait a minute had some plastic civil war soldiers that came in three in a pack with a cannon. The men were interchangeable as there heads came off. Later had plastic ww1 soldiers set to small scale . Had American doughboys, French soldiers in gray blue, also little germans soldiers painted gray with the little Prussian helmets. Had british soldiers to in brown I believe.

I was at an antique/consignment store two weeks ago. They had some German ww2 soldiers made by the Marx Co. back in the 60's, which I played with when I was a kid. I haven't seen these things in 40+ years, they were over 6 inches tall. Seeing them again was a bit nostalgic. :happy: Anyone else remember them?
plastictoysoldiers.jpg

I was at an antique/consignment store two weeks ago. They had some German ww2 soldiers made by the Marx Co. back in the 60's, which I played with when I was a kid. I haven't seen these things in 40+ years, they were over 6 inches tall. Seeing them again was a bit nostalgic. :happy: Anyone else remember them?
View attachment 38206
I remember those large Marx figures.
I only had two. An American "with a rifle " and a Soviet "throwing a grenade".

And then in later childhood came the Airfix sets. I had the 8th Army and my friend across the street had the Afrika Korps. The scale of the figures was only just too big for the Shermans and Panthers borrowed from "Tank Battle" (Milton Bradley). Not that we cared, of course. Ah, the battles were legendary.

*sighs wistfully* You're killin' me, 7th!... :D

And then in later childhood came the Airfix sets. I had the 8th Army and my friend across the street had the Afrika Korps. The scale of the figures was only just too big for the Shermans and Panthers borrowed from "Tank Battle" (Milton Bradley). Not that we cared, of course. Ah, the battles were legendary.

*sighs wistfully* You're killin' me, 7th!... :D
I'd forgotten about Tank Battle.
tumblr_mgc7rmAFug1s2xpeeo1_1280.jpg

Back