NF Featured Top Civil War Books of All Time Voting Thread - VOTE NOW!

Non-Fiction
Gettysburg the First Day, by Harry Pfanz

782930._UY400_SS400_.jpg

Extraordinary Circumstances: The Seven Days Battles by Brian K. Burton

Seven Days Before Richmond: McClellan's Peninsula Campaign of 1862 And Its Aftermath by Rudolph J. Schroeder III

These two along with Sears' To the Gates of Richmond are the three best books on the Peninsula Campaign and/or The Seven Days Battles, in my humble opinion.

James

Wiley Sword’s Shiloh:Bloody April is a must read for any student who is studying the ACW in the West.
Regards
David

Anything by Stephen Sears is going to be good. A book that I recently read that IMO does not get the recognition that it deserves is "The Confederate War" by Gary Gallagher. Gallagher makes a very good case that Confederate popular will and nationalism was much stronger than many historians fully realize.

"The Impending Crisis" by David Potter I think qualifies as a classic.

One of the very best single battle books IMO is "Stonewall Jackson At Cedar Mountain" by Robert Krick.

To the Gates of Richmond - The Peninsula Campaign -Stephen W. Sears
Chancellorsville - Stephen W. Sears
American Brutus - John Wilkes Booth and the Lincoln Conspiracies - Michael W. Kauffman
Second the recommendation for American Brutus. That's an excellent book.

Extraordinary Circumstances: The Seven Days Battles by Brian K. Burton

Seven Days Before Richmond: McClellan's Peninsula Campaign of 1862 And Its Aftermath by Rudolph J. Schroeder III

These two along with Sears' To the Gates of Richmond are the three best books on the Peninsula Campaign and/or The Seven Days Battles, in my humble opinion.

James

I only read a handful of excerpts of Burton's Extraordinary Circumstance. I think I'll go back and read the whole thing.

Well, then ...

View attachment 325017
Hardtack and Coffee / by John D. Billlings

Fun read also and lots of information.

I love this book. And the author got his idea for writing it in New Hampshire while staying at one of the hotels in the White Mountains summering. The young boys at the hotel were constantly asking him about his war time experiences.

Back