Featured Top Civil War Books of All Time Voting Thread - VOTE NOW!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
Rated all that I have read. I have some of the books listed but havw
View attachment 323419

Are you ready to Rumble!​

By now I'm sure almost everyone (except for Steve who is officially barred from looking at the new Bookshop, yeah I'm looking at you Steve!) has seen the brand new:

But.... I've got a problem. I just created a new category today called Must Read Books and I'm not convinced that I picked the right books. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. I'm going to let you decide which books get to stay, and which books must go!

What I'm going to do is list each book, one book per post below, and I want you to do one of two things to vote for each post...
  • Click LIKE if you Want the Book to Stay in the List
  • Click DISLIKE if you want the Book to Leave the list
Any other reactions will be ignored!

Hover your MOUSE over the Like Link and you can Choose the Blue LIKE or Red DISLIKE!
View attachment 323381

Once I've posted every book I will open the thread for discussion, and you can tell me what books I forgot that need to be added to the Bookshop List!

So that's it! In no particular order, here are the books to vote on:
Rated all that I have read. I have some of the books listed but have not read them all.

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
In addition to many of the great books already listed, I'm especially drawn to primary sources/memoirs of all kinds. One that has stuck with me, and that I learned a great deal from was William Watson's Life in the Confederate Army: Being the Observations and Experiences of an Alien in the South during the American Civil War (1887). Despite Federal sympathies, Watson ended up fighting for the South. But his book is especially interesting for cultural context. A native Scot living in Baton Rouge in the lead up to war, his detailed record of local debates and arguments about secession, slavery, etc. is illuminating, and his shrewd and nuanced 'outsider' analysis is worth setting alongside more simplistic partisan narratives.

Norm53

Sergeant
Should this Book be a Part of the Must Read Books Category?
Click LIKE to Keep - DISLIKE to Leave - VOTE NOW!

View attachment 323398

The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command
by Edwin B. Coddington
Three books on Gettysburg, but none on the Vicksburg and Atlanta Campaigns doesn't seem fair. Although I have not read them, these two received favorable reviews:

Atlanta 1864: Last Chance for the Confederacy
Vicksburg, the Campaign that Opened the Mississippi

(I can't intelligently vote on books that I have not read.)

wausaubob

Major
Hugh Thomas, the late Mr. Thomas, wrote a book on The Slave Trade, Simon and Schuster 1997. This explains how England became complicit in the destablization of Western African, and the American colonies became addicted to slavery. And how a social movement took hold to end the slave trade.

wausaubob

Major
2012 University of North Carolina Press, James McPherson, War on the Waters. A very easy once through on the 2nd main reason the US won the Civil War.

wausaubob

Major
James Oakes, Freedom National, W.W. Norton and Co. 2013 explains how something we take for granted, was developed one step at a time. It also may explain why Reconstruction faded so quickly. Separation, not emancipation, was the main issue of the Civil War. Good thread. :D

Norm53

Sergeant
Hugh Thomas, the late Mr. Thomas, wrote a book on The Slave Trade, Simon and Schuster 1997. This explains how England became complicit in the destablization of Western African, and the American colonies became addicted to slavery. And how a social movement took hold to end the slave trade.
Read it twice, but it deserves to be read again.

Last edited:
Allegiance: Fort Sumter, Charleston, and the Beginning of the Civil War by David Detzer
Conf. in the Attic is more pop culture than CW
Conf. in the Attic makes it seem like you have to be filthy all the time. To be historically correct, one ought to research the time you are representing and see if the group had recently bathed or had new uniforms, etc.