Took some new pictures of my guns...

All of the serial numbers recorded (at National Archives) between 29111 and 30418 were issued to CO D 2ND KANS VOL CAV

So I guess I do not know for sure, but it definitely falls within the accepted range of ones that were used, and within the range of this specific unit.
Thanks for this information and thanks also for showing us the images of your firearms. They are very nice indeed!

Got also some 1854 revolvers.....
1854_a10.jpg

1854_a11.jpg

And some other things ....

dsc_0111.jpg

dsc_0112.jpg

LEFAUCHEUX

Outstanding! There is so much to like about the condition of every piece shown thus far. But I must say that most recent revolver photo with the fine engraving and what I believe might be a silver or pewter butt cap--that is just wonderful. I also think it's some of the best checkering on a pistol grip I have seen in a very long time.

When I saw the LF 28 for the first time I couldn't believe my eyes, the first and unique one I ever have seen, it was in front of my for sale, in a interessting "buy it now" proposal ....
Even the books of Curtis or Adolpho never show on ....

Lefaucheux

Last edited:
Also higher resolution versions are posted on my website, along with some that are not posted in this post: http://freemycollection.com/Pinfire-Guns

First we will start with the 12mm pinfire revolvers. This first one is one of the ~13,000 that was purchased by the Union Army. It is a French Lefaucheux model 1854 pinfire revolver.
Lefaucheux-1854-Pinfire-Revolver.jpg

Next up is a Belgian 12mm version.
Belgian-12mm-Pinfire-Revolver.jpg

And another, slightly older, but I never posted them on here, image of the same gun:
Belgian-12mm-Pinfire-Revolver.jpg

Next is another Lefaucheux 1854. However it was later converted to a centerfire revolver by chopping off the top of the hammer, and welding a spike, and drilling a hole in the piece behind the cylinder.
12mm-Pinfire-Converted-to-Centerfire.jpg

Next is another 12mm that has nothing to do with the war, but it cool anyway. It is some odd homemade pistol. The barrel rotates 90° to the right to load it. (I personally think It is Casimir Lefaucheux' first prototype...but his great-grandson thinks I'm nuts as he would have never made something so crude!)

12mm-homeade.jpg

Next are a couple 15mm pistols. No official records of their use, but some people say there is evidence of their use, and people had them so it is logical one would bring it along with them!
15mm-pinfire-gun.jpg

Next 15mm one is a much higher end model by a luxury gun maker. It also came with 15mm auxillary adapters to allow its use with caps and balls. I have pictures of that if anyone want to see it.
French-15mm3.jpg

I have many excavated 9mm pinfire cartridges from ACW sites, some found right along with 12mm ones, so it makes since the 9mm guns were used as well (Plus we've talked before about Jackson's 9mm revolver he carried, and the fancy version his men presented him.) I actually do not have a 9mm revolver, but here is a neat 9mm double barrel with duck-shaped-hammers.
9mm-boxlock-pistol.jpg

And same story with 7mm. Highly ineffective for war use (about the same as a .22 short revolver!) but there are excavated cartridges so people must've brought them along! I guess it is better than nothing!
7mm-1.jpg

7mm-2.jpg

7mm-3.jpg

7mm-Pinfire-Boxes-and-7mm-Belgian-Pinfire-Revolver.jpg

7mm-Pinfire-Cartouchiere.jpg

7mm-4.jpg

7mm-5.jpg

Belgian-7mm-Pinfire-Pistol.jpg

Same story once more about shotguns. No official records, but there are as many, if not more excavated pinfire shotgun bases as pistol cartridges. Here is a neat 20g pinfire shotgun.
20-guage-pinfire-shotgun.jpg

And lastly here is a 5mm revolver while I am posting everything else. I have no evidence of this size ever being used.
5mm-Pinfire-Revolver.jpg

Pinfire cartridges are my main collecting specialty I figure I may as well get a gun to go with each box! That's how it works...right?? The one on the top middle is an excavated example of the Lefaucheux 1854, Navy model. It was excavated at an ACW site in SC.
12mm-pinfire-drawer.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions as I would be more than happy to answer.

Awesome collection! Thank you for sharing them with us.

To each his own. I consider the Luger to be the most beautiful handgun ever (with close competition of the Peacemaker.) But that's a modern esthetic opinion.

Never could afford one of those antique guns. Now I can and have no interest. Oh well. Now, if owning and driving a Charger Hellcat were at all practical, I'd have one of them.

To each his own. I consider the Luger to be the most beautiful handgun ever (with close competition of the Peacemaker.) But that's a modern esthetic opinion.

Never could afford one of those antique guns. Now I can and have no interest. Oh well. Now, if owning and driving a Charger Hellcat were at all practical, I'd have one of them.

Of course you're completly right .

Reactions: ole
Of course you're completly right .
Different strokes, lefaucheux. Couldn't have replied if you hadn't. No way to remember how to spell lefaucheux.

Am reminded of a tidbit that I do hope doesn't insult you.

Seems like heaven is where the French are cooks, the Brits are Police, the Germans are engineers, the Swiss are administrators and the Italians are the lovers.

Hell is where the British are cooks, the Germans are police, the French are engineers, the Swiss are the lovers and the Italians are the administrators.

We do have to have our own little pigeon holes to put everyone else in.:whistling:

Great chance for you and no worry for me .... I'am not French, not German, not Swiss and more less Britain ....I'am natif from a very little country called Netherlands.... ok, but married with a french girl , she is to be a little grand child of Eugène Lefaucheux.

Different strokes, lefaucheux. Couldn't have replied if you hadn't. No way to remember how to spell lefaucheux.

Am reminded of a tidbit that I do hope doesn't insult you.

Seems like heaven is where the French are cooks, the Brits are Police, the Germans are engineers, the Swiss are administrators and the Italians are the lovers.

Hell is where the British are cooks, the Germans are police, the French are engineers, the Swiss are the lovers and the Italians are the administrators.

We do have to have our own little pigeon holes to put everyone else in.:whistling:
Perfect, Ole! Good one! And Mark Twain---"Go to Heaven for the climate; go to - - - - for the company." :laugh:

Back