Too Good to Be True?

Too Good to Be True
There are some incidents in the Civil War that are myths: Like the Confederates marching to Gettysburg for shoes, that tell a deeper truth: that the battle, especially the first day, was unplanned.

What are some "too good to be true" Civil War myths?

Another one is Lee offering Grant his sword at Appommattox, and Grant graciously returning it or refusing to accept it. Again it shows a deeper truth, even if it didn't happen: Grant treated Lee with courtesy and honor.

I've read that Lee said to Ely Parker, a Seneca Indian, that he was a "real American" and Parker replying to Lee, "We are all Americans." Did this really happen? If I had been Parker, it would have been something I would have thought of a few hours later, when it was too late.

Another was the famous quote after the 54th massachusetts failed attack on Fort Wagner. Col. Shaw's body was not returned by the Confederate commander, the rebel stating that Shaw would be buried in a mass grave "with his n*******"

This story was widely believed in the North, including Shaw's parents, who considered his grave with his men "hallowed ground" The Confederate commander protested he had never made such a brutal statement, but it reinforced preexisting(and some current beliefs) Southerners are nasty racists, the aristocratic white Shaw being a brother and comrade to his black troops. Like the old movies said "print the legend"

Back