Tom Jefferson's Monticello

I see Thomas Jefferson was also a 'gadgets' guy...there is an obvious interest in, and intrigue with, science it seems going by the items in the rooms, and the ingenuity of some of them. It gives you a real insight into the man himself, I think. It is a beautiful home, and my favourite part is the alcove bed, I think. What a cool concept! Thanks for sharing @Jimklag.

I see Thomas Jefferson was also a 'gadgets' guy...there is an obvious interest in, and intrigue with, science it seems going by the items in the rooms, and the ingenuity of some of them. It gives you a real insight into the man himself, I think. It is a beautiful home, and my favourite part is the alcove bed, I think. What a cool concept! Thanks for sharing @Jimklag.
My pleasure, ma'am. I neglected pictures of the great central hall where are hung maps and specimens from the Lewis and Clark voyage of discovery and some Indian artifacts. I'll see if I can find a third-party photo and I'll post it.

Here are two photos of the front hall courtesy of the Monticello Foundation.
MonticelloEntranceHall.jpg

monticello-entry2.jpg

Note the weights to the right of the window in the lower picture. They operate the clock and will actually drop below the floor.

Here are two photos of the front hall courtesy of the Monticello Foundation.
View attachment 152890
View attachment 152891
Note the weights to the right of the window in the lower picture. They operate the clock and will actually drop below the floor.
It is altogether a beautiful and fascinating place. I will definitely make a point of trying to visit! Thanks :smile:

[QUOTE="Jimklag, post: 1621206, member: The study with Jefferson's revolving reading/writing desk.
View attachment 152833[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this wonderful photo tour, @Jimklag! Like so many objects and features at Monticello, Jefferson's "tall desk" is fascinating. Here are some details on it and a close-up view. http://bit.ly/2vFUryD. Made a mental note of it when Mr. LoyaltyOfDogs and I visited Monticello about 20 years ago, and when I had an opportunity to get a standing desk at work in more recent years, I took up the offer. (Maybe, impressed by Jefferson's genius, I secretly hoped it might provide even just a bit of similar inspiration to me. That never happened :nah disagree:, but I thoroughly enjoy using my desk.)

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Jimklag, post: 1621206, member: The study with Jefferson's revolving reading/writing desk.
View attachment 152833

Thank you for this wonderful photo tour, @Jimklag! Like so many objects and features at Monticello, Jefferson's "tall desk" is fascinating. Here are some details on it and a close-up view. http://bit.ly/2vFUryD. Made a mental note of it when Mr. LoyaltyOfDogs and I visited Monticello about 20 years ago, and when I had an opportunity to get a standing desk at work in more recent years, I took up the offer. (Maybe, impressed by Jefferson's genius, I secretly hoped it might provide even just a bit of similar inspiration to me. That never happened , but I thoroughly enjoy using my desk.)[/QUOTE]
You are welcome. Great link.

Here's a couple my wife took. One is of the "hidden" room upstairs where it was said the children liked to play. The other is a panorama of the gardens.

I've got family connections to Monticello and to the neighboring Monroe place just down the road (Ash Lawn - Highland) so it's really special to me and I was so happy to see it last September. Just a real national treasure.

monticello_hidden_room.jpg
monticello_gardens_pano.jpg

Here's a couple my wife took. One is of the "hidden" room upstairs where it was said the children like to play. The other is a panorama of the gardens.

I've got family connections to Monticello and to the neighboring Monroe place just down the road (Ash Lawn - Highland) so it's really special to me and I was so happy to see it last September. Just a real national treasure.

View attachment 152911 View attachment 152912
I never got to see the hidden room.

The door to it is in the dome room and there's a ladder down. You can't go in but you can look in (as we did). I'm surprised you didn't get to see it if you took the tour that includes the dome. The wife was allowed to photograph; just no flash.
We were in with a boatload of people. Somehow two groups got jumbled together. I had to be rude just to get the one picture I did get of the octagon room.

Thanks @Jimklag Momticello has always been one of my favorite houses. There is just something about it. I have been there several times, and I enjoyed it every time. One of my parents good friends was a very direct descendant of Thomas Jefferson. In fact he is buried there. His name was Cary Bankhead. Of all of the family, he was chosen to go to France when they reenacted the signing of the Treaty of Paris. He is also a direct descendant of two Missouri Confederate Civil War officers. He was descended from Jefferson's daughter (a great-great-great grandson) and of the Bankhead family. I don't think the photos sucked, I liked them.

Thanks @Jimklag Momticello has always been one of my favorite houses. There is just something about it. I have been there several times, and I enjoyed it every time. One of my parents good friends was a very direct descendant of Thomas Jefferson. In fact he is buried there. His name was Cary Bankhead. Of all of the family, he was chosen to go to France when they reenacted the signing of the Treaty of Paris. He is also a direct descendant of two Missouri Confederate Civil War officers. He was descended from Jefferson's daughter (a great-great-great grandson) and of the Bankhead family. I don't think the photos sucked, I liked them.
Thanks, amigo

This is a very fine photo tour of Monticello, which I visited in the late 1970s. I'm sure it has changed somewhat since then. Did any of you know that the tombstone on Mr. Jefferson's grave is not the original? It's true. The original is not nearly so grand, and it sits on the Francis quadrangle of the University of Missouri to this day. I am not entirely sure why this happened, but I speculate it is because the University of Missouri is one of the first land grant colleges in the Louisiana Purchase. I assume the U of MO asked for the older monument stone and got it. Regardless, there it is, for all to see, right out there on the quadrangle.

This is a very fine photo tour of Monticello, which I visited in the late 1970s. I'm sure it has changed somewhat since then. Did any of you know that the tombstone on Mr. Jefferson's grave is not the original? It's true. The original is not nearly so grand, and it sits on the Francis quadrangle of the University of Missouri to this day. I am not entirely sure why this happened, but I speculate it is because the University of Missouri is one of the first land grant colleges in the Louisiana Purchase. I assume the U of MO asked for the older monument stone and got it. Regardless, there it is, for all to see, right out there on the quadrangle.
I did not know that.

This is a very fine photo tour of Monticello, which I visMissouri.bthanks, @Pat late 1970s. I'm sure it has changed somewhat since then. Did any of you know that the tombstone on Mr. Jefferson's grave is not the original? It's true. The original is not nearly so grand, and it sits on the Francis quadrangle of the University of Missouri to this day. I am not entirely sure why this happened, but I speculate it is because the University of Missouri is one of the first land grant colleges in the Louisiana Purchase. I assume the U of MO asked for the older monument stone and got it. Regardless, there it is, for all to see, right out there on the quadrangle.
Here's a link for those who want to see and read abput Jefferson's "other" tombstone at the University of Missouri. Thanks, @Patrick H .

https://mizzoumag.missouri.edu/2013/02/jeffersons-legacy/

My Winn and Garrett ggg grandparents knew the Bankheads and I have a copy of an invitation written by my ggg aunt Mary Winn to Septemia Randolph (Jefferson's granddaughter) for a party and overnight stay - addressed to Septemia at Monticello - saying that Ellen Bankhead would also be coming. Ellen was the daughter of Charles Lewis Bankhead and Anne Cary Randolph (Septemia's older sister). The invitation dates to about 1828 when the girls were teenagers. My ggg grandfather's property bordered some Bankhead property (as well as TJ's Monticello estate).

Septemia was the sister of George Wythe Randolph who was the founder of the Richmond Howitzers. The family friendships were, I'm sure, the reason my great grandfather John Winn was able to join the Howitzers (he having become a common laborer and membership requiring an invite at the time).

Last edited:
Back