Lincoln Ami's SOA Today's Date in Lincoln's Life

Friday October19, 1860

Springfield, IL.

Lincoln writes to eleven-year-old Grace Bedell, of Westfield, New York. Bedell wrote to ask Lincoln about his children and she suggested, "[L]et your whiskers grow . . . [Y]ou would look a great deal better for your face is so thin." Lincoln writes, "My dear little Miss. I regret the necessity of saying I have no daughters. I have three sons—one seventeen, one nine, and one seven . . . As to the whiskers, having never worn any, do you not think people would call it a piece of silly affection if I were to begin it now?"

Monday October 20, 1862

Washington D.C.

Gen. John Cochrane discusses military situation with Lincoln and urges replacement of Gen. Halleck with Gen. McClellan.
Endorses expedition of Gen. McClernand to states of Indiana, Illinois and Iowa for purpose of organizing troops: "To the end, that when a sufficient force, not required by the operations of General Grant's command, shall be raised, an expedition may be organized under General McClernand's command against Vicksburg and to clear the Mississippi river and open navigation to New Orleans."
Writes memorandum on Army of Potomac showing grand total of 231,997 troops of which 144,662 are fit for duty. Confederate Army shows total of 89,563.
Lincoln deposits salary warrant for $2,083.34 in Riggs Bank.

Wednesday October 21, 1863

Washington D.C.

Delegation from St. Mary's County, Md., protests to President against disturbance caused by Negro troops stationed on Patuxent River. Lincoln replies that he thinks he will order withdrawal of troops. He further thinks that Negroes may be recruited in Maryland by consent of masters.
Inquires of Gen. Schenck: "A delegation is here saying that our armed colored troops are at many if not all the landings on the Patuxent river, and by their presence, with arms in their hands, are frightening quiet people, and producing great confusion. Have they been sent there by any order? and if so, for what reason?

Saturday October 22, 1864

Washington D.C.

President notifies former Gov. William B. Campbell (Tenn.) and others that he declines to interfere in any way with presidential election in Tennessee.
Tenders thanks of nation to Gen. Sheridan for successful operations in Shenandoah Valley, including his famous ride from Winchester, Va., and defeat of Confederates at Cedar Creek.

Thursday October 23, 1862

Washington D.C.

Prof. MacLeod hands President letter from Rev. J. B. Pinney, secretary, New York State Colonization Society, urging colonization of Negroes in Liberia.

Thursday October 24, 1861

Washington D.C.

President Lincoln and his wife, Mary, attend the funeral of Colonel Edward D. Baker, who died on October 21, during the Battle of Ball's Bluff, located near Leesburg, Virginia. At the time of his death, Baker served as a U.S. Senator from Oregon. Previously, he practiced law in Springfield, Illinois, where he became acquainted with Lincoln. Lincoln named his second son, Edward Baker Lincoln, in Baker's honor.
Lincoln sends Leonard Swett with letter containing order for Gen. Fremont's removal to Gen. Curtis for delivery.
Writes Gen. Hunter: "The command of the Department of the West having devolved upon you, I propose to offer you a few suggestions . . . give up the pursuit [of Gen. Sterling Price (CSA)], halt your main army, divide it into two corps of observation, one occupying Sedalia, and the other Rolla . . . then recruit the condition of both corps."

Saturday October 25, 1862

Washington D.C.

Cabinet meeting subject is case of Gen. Jefferson C. Davis who shot to death Gen. William Nelson following reprimand by Davis for alleged negligence.
Lincoln wires Gen. McClellan: "I have just read your despatch about sore tongued and fatiegued [sic] horses. Will you pardon me for asking what the horses of your army have done since the battle of Antietam that fatigue anything?"

Sunday October 26, 1862

Washington D.C.

Mrs. Eliza P. Gurney, wife of Joseph J. Gurney, English Quaker, holds prayer meeting in President's office. Lincoln says: "If I had had my way, this war would never have been commenced; . . . but we find it still continues; and we must believe that He permits it for some wise purpose of his own, mysterious and unknown to us."
Records his thoughts on the Divine Will: "The will of God prevails. In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be wrong. God can not be for, and against the same thing at the same time. . . . By his mere quiet power, on the minds of the now contestants, He could have either saved or destroyed the Union without a human contest. Yet the contest began. And having begun He could give the final victory to either side any day. Yet the contest proceeds." [Lincoln did not date the original manuscript. Nicolay & Hay gives it a tentative date of September 30, 1862. CW gives it a tentative date of September 2, 1862. The date of October 26, 1862 is selected here in order to associate the document with Lincoln's interview with Mrs. Gurney of this day.]
Writes Gen. McClellan: "[Gen. James E. B.] Stuart's [CSA] cavalry outmarched ours, . . . will not a movement of our army be a relief to the cavalry, . . . But I am so rejoiced to learn . . . that you begin crossing the river this morning."

Saturday October 27, 1860

Springfield, IL.

To G. T. M. Davis of Alton, Lincoln refuses to make public statement of his views. He would repeat his intent of noninterference with slavery in slave states "a thousand times, if there were no danger of encouraging bold bad men to believe they are dealing with one who can be scared into anything."

Friday October 28, 1864

Washington D.C.

Lincoln interviews Mrs. Margaret C. Price who asks that her son, prisoner of war, be released from Camp Chase, Ohio. Mrs. George W. Bowen calls on Lincoln and asks that her husband, prisoner of war at Camp Chase, be discharged.
Cabinet meets. Coming presidential election and minor affairs discussed.
Sec. Welles complains to President that all ships are tied up at Hampton Roads, Va., and Beaufort, N.C., behind army, consequently blockade is being neglected.
President and Mrs. Lincoln again make the Executive Mansion their primary home, returning from the Soldier's Home, for the cool season.

Friday October 29, 1858

Petersburg, IL.

Lincoln speaks to "large and enthusiastic assembly." Later, at flag station 20 miles west of Springfield, he and Henry Villard, reporter, take refuge from storm in box car. Lincoln tells Villard that as youth his highest political ambition was to be elected to legislature. Now his wife insists he will be senator and President too. "Just think of such a sucker as me as President!"

Friday October 30, 1863

Washington D.C.

President and Mrs. Lincoln visit Ford's Theatre on occasion of Maggie Mitchell's penultimate performance of Fanchon, the Cricket.

Thursday October 31, 1861

Washington D.C.

Sec. Cameron lays before President Gen. Scott's letter requesting retired officer status.
Gen. McClellan requests President's permission to have purchase of arms made through his staff.

Friday November 1, 1861

Washington D.c.

Cabinet accepts resignation of General Winfield Scott and decides upon appointment of General George B. McClellan as successor. President orders Bvt. Lt. Gen. Winfield Scott placed on list of retired officers of Army of U.S. Later calls at Scott's residence with members of cabinet. Informs McClellan: "I have designated you to command the whole army." In evening, with John Hay, visits McClellan and Sec. Seward at their homes.
Capt. McKinney (Thomas J. McKenny?) delivers President's order dated October 24, 1861 relieving Gen. Fremont of command of Dept. of West.

Monday November 2, 1863

Washington D.C.

Lincoln advises Cong. Blair (Mo.) to return to army if not elected Speaker of House of Representatives.
Confers with General Schenck about possible violence at Maryland polls on election day, November 4, 1863.
Judge David Wills of Gettysburg invites President to dedicate National Cemetery at Gettysburg on November 19, 1863 with " a few appropriate remarks."

Tuesday November 3, 1863

Washington D.C.

Lincoln writes to the commander of the Army of the Potomac General George Meade and requests more information concerning Private Samuel Wellers with the 49th Pennsylvania Volunteers. Lincoln explains, "Wellers . . . writes that he is to be shot for desertion on the 6th . . . His own story is rather a bad one, and yet he tells it so frankly, that I am some what interested in him. Has he been a good soldier, except the desertion? About how old is he?"

Friday November 4, 1842

Springfield, IL.

Lincoln marries Mary Todd, the daughter of Robert S. Todd, of Lexington, Kentucky. Episcopal minister Reverend Charles Dresser presides over the ceremony, which takes place in the home of Ninian W. Edwards and Elizabeth Edwards, Mary Todd's sister.

unnamed.jpg

Wednesday November 5, 1862

Washington D.C.

President directs General in Chief Halleck to order Gen. McClellan removed from command of Army of Potomac and Gen. Burnside placed in command "forthwith, or so soon as he may deem proper."
Cabinet discusses problem of securing cotton.
Receives October salary warrant for $2,022.33.

Tuesday November 6, 1860

Springfield, IL.

Election day. Lincoln spends most of it at his state house office. About 3 P.M. he walks quietly to polling place in courthouse. Crowd gives him ovation. After cutting his own name from ballot, he votes straight ticket. Evening he spends in telegraph office, getting returns. Shortly after midnight he and Mrs. Lincoln attend supper, and soon go home.

Wednesday November 7, 1860

Springfield, IL.

The day after the presidential election, Lincoln remains at Springfield's "telegraph office" until 4:45 a.m. By early afternoon, it appears that Lincoln has secured enough votes "to put the general result beyond all doubt." In the evening, Lincoln proceeds to the capitol's House chambers where he announces "the news of a Republican victory." Lincoln remarks, "We expected it would be so, and so it is as it is pretty generally these times."

Back