Today is the 156th Anniversary of Gen. Lee’s Surrender. I propose that it should be declared as a day of National Mourning.

Yes - there was slavery in the south, but there was slavery all over the world back in those days. Slavery existed in the northern states of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, and the Yankee state of Rhode Island was a major hub in the international slave trade. It is absolutely wrong in my opinion to crucify the south on the cross of slavery. The sanctimonious northern states, fueled on propaganda, invaded a section of the country that was foreign to them and which they had little or no understanding of. The northern armies went into the southern states with guns blazing, without understanding the ultimate ramifications of their actions.

I think it was Voltaire who said “when in doubt, refrain.”

The war was fought primarily because the benighted Yankee masses were drunk on spurious propaganda that was emanating from the pens of Harriet Beecher Stowe and Hinton Rowan Helper.

The southern states were trying to exit the Union, they only wanted to be left alone, and they were fighting because they were being invaded by a hostile military force.

The 9th of April should be declared as a day of National Mourning.

Back