Toasted Cheese Or Cheese On Toast Or Welsh Rarebit And Ambrose Bierce

With the amount of cheese I put on mine I'm not sure I should be adding any more fat but, what the hell, I'll give this one a try.

Just remembered I went through a phase (influenced by the wife) of putting cherry (grape) tomatoes and green onions (or spring onions or scallions or whatever you prefer to call them) on top. Delicious.

I've always maintained a slice of homegrown tomato on a grilled cheese is pretty nifty.Off-topic but I paid two bucks for a small hothouse tomato at the market yesterday tasted like water.Got some planted out back but be a long time till they're producing.Up here in the northern plains got a very late start,My cousins back home in CA are already picking tomatoes.

I've always maintained a slice of homegrown tomato on a grilled cheese is pretty nifty.Off-topic but I paid two bucks for a small hothouse tomato at the market yesterday tasted like water.Got some planted out back but be a long time till they're producing.Up here in the northern plains got a very late start,My cousins back home in CA are already picking tomatoes.

$2 for a tomato?! Jeez. And a tasteless one at that. Again off topic but I never really 'got' Greek salad until I went to Greece and tasted the tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. that they eat there. In Greece I could (did) live on it. In the UK or here I would never order one in a restaurant.

In Greece I could (did) live on it. In the UK or here I would never order one in a restaurant.

They are particularly good aren't they. The only thing close is home grown tomatoes from the garden. Romas are a good start but heritage varieties are better.

I was looking for rarebit and ran into this thread. I always enjoyed all the different posts from forum members.

By the way our daughter and her family have come back from England. They live in Florida now. She is the one who writes the children's books I have mentioned on the forum.

Since it is National Cheese Day, bringing this back up. Also have recipe from "Civil War Recipes" on Welsh Rabbit.

Welsh Rabbit also known as "rarebit" (1863)

"A slice of bread laid in a tin dish, buttered and mustard laid over it; pieces of cut cheese laid also on the bread and butter; pour two or three tablespoonfuls of the ale; put into the oven until slightly brown."

This is a nice one..................:smile:
Ingredients

50g/2oz flour

50g/2oz butter

250ml/9oz strong beer, warmed

250g/9oz strong cheddar, grated

2tsp English mustard

2 table spoons Worcestershire sauce

black pepper

4 large slices granary bread

Preparation method

1.In a small saucepan melt the butter and make a roux with the flour. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring to prevent the roux from burning. Stir in the warm beer by degrees, until you have a thick but smooth sauce. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted. You should now have a thick paste. Mix in the mustard and Worcestershire sauce and season well with black pepper.

2.Lightly toast and butter the bread, then pile up the cheesy mixture on each slice. Cook under a hot grill for a few minutes, until browned and bubbling.

When the title came up, I immediately thought of alex. Glad you stirred him up. Gonna hafta try that on my Sicilian wife. Although warming up a beer is an anathema, it's worth a try.

When the title came up, I immediately thought of alex. Glad you stirred him up. Gonna hafta try that on my Sicilian wife. Although warming up a beer is an anathema, it's worth a try.

I read somewhere once where a veteran GI who had gone from Normandy to the Rhine was asked what was the worse thing about the War. ' The warm beer in England ' he replied.

I read somewhere once where a veteran GI who had gone from Normandy to the Rhine was asked what was the worse thing about the War. ' The warm beer in England ' he replied.
I'm sure you know that, here, beer is cold. Tilted with a Brit some years ago about that very subject. Beer is cold. Periiod.

Tillamook Sharp Cheddar for me, please, and hold the mayo. I do butter the bread on the outside before grilling the sandwich, though.

Serve with cream of tomato soup and hot cocoa--one of my favorite lunches for as long as I can remember (back to about 5-6 years old, which was in 1941)! One difference is that I no longer like marshmallows in my cocoa.

With Annie's new thread on Welsh Rarebit, thought bring this older thread back up.

The change is my daughter has moved back to states. They live in North Carolina now. She still collects recipes like I do. Always likes to try different foods from all place she and her family have lived.

Back