Impressions To tent or not to tent?

Mrs. V

1st Lieutenant
My son is attached to a Battery, and I am kind of a defacto member..that is I’m “family member”..what I do at reenactments is sing. My specialty is accapella music of the civil war, north and south tunes. (Civil War Songbird).

So my question is..do I go ahead and try to find myself a tent, or do I just continue to hotel it? I know that if my son continues to reenact he will need a tent..if I have an A frame, I can hold his gear, while he does the dog tent thing..I know for sure I can’t afford 2 a frame tents..And then what happens if he can’t go to a venue, but I can? Gah!

Guidance?

It depends on the setting and event. An A frame is just fine at any mainstream event, it's what most people have. If your son ever wants to get into the campaign type events he'll need shelter halves (dog tent) or just sleep under the stars. Having one of each isn't a bad idea but you certainly don't need 2 A frames.

My first question is, do you want to tent? Would sleeping in a tent improve your experience? Would you enjoy it? Would it make you happy? It's not really about what other people expect of you, it's about what works for you.
I grew up tent camping. I kinda like it. But then again I also like relaxing in the A.C. After a hot day! Lol!! I think I would like the option?

Why have a tent at all? Consider a tent fly. So many different ways it can be set up.

Bought a fantastic panther primatives tent when I first started the hobby because everyone has tents, right? More trouble to set up than it was worth. Great for when it rained or was really cold, but otherwise not so great. I dumped it, but kept the fly. Haven't regretted the decision. Shelter halves are good, too. Have made several.

- S.S. Mucket

well i would just get A frame and a dog tent. just go shopping around for someone who is getting out of the hobby who is looking to get rid of their gear. Also, it would be nice not to have to travel to hotel if your tired but on the other hand if its blazing hot outside a nice cold hotel room will do fine. it would be nice though to have the option to do it either way you want to. plus it can be alot of fun at night if you were to camp w/ your unit.

Just be aware of size. I have a 6 by 6 A frame. I was in an allfire when I ordered it, and I got the sodcloth, but it is WAY smaller than I figured. If I had remembered my hoop I would've played h e double hocky sticks getting in and out. Also what you will be sleeping on. I slept on the ground. The 6x6 you would think would be big enough for two but with my gear I had a small corner for myself. (A cooler hidden under fabric for a table and a basket. I also have to bring a CPAP. Thankfully those are no.longer monsterous in size)
This was also my first event handeling everything on my own. I would get the tent to expand your event range. Some of them don't have hotels close by. Take your time and get something well made that will work for what you need.

I was just about to ask this same question. I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble considering a tent. Which size would be best for two soldiers, and which size would be best for just me?

My son is attached to a Battery, and I am kind of a defacto member..that is I’m “family member”..what I do at reenactments is sing. My specialty is accapella music of the civil war, north and south tunes. (Civil War Songbird).

So my question is..do I go ahead and try to find myself a tent, or do I just continue to hotel it? I know that if my son continues to reenact he will need a tent..if I have an A frame, I can hold his gear, while he does the dog tent thing..I know for sure I can’t afford 2 a frame tents..And then what happens if he can’t go to a venue, but I can? Gah!

Guidance?
Send us a video of your singing. Would love to hear you!!!

I was just about to ask this same question. I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble considering a tent. Which size would be best for two soldiers, and which size would be best for just me?
It depends on a lot of things. I use a 8x9 which works well for 2 when my other half comes with her hoops and girl stuff or when I'm travelling far from home and bring a lot of extra gear and supplies with me. Any smaller for two would be tight yet it's still easy to pack and can be put up and taken down by myself if I have to. For one person you could go smaller, maybe a 6x6 or even shelter halves. How much stuff do you bring? And how much privacy do you require? Always remember that camps in mainstream reenactments are nothing like what you'd see on an actual campaign. You wouldn't see near all the canvas. Most of the guys would be under the stars or at most a shelter half. When I'm by myself and going to a more authentic campaign style event I leave the canvas at home.

I would get an A and a dog tent. That's what my family uses. Mom + Dad took the A with our equipage and I took to the dog. Sometimes my sister and I would share the dog tent.

So this is a photo inside and outside my 6x6. The Inside photo is facing the door flap. Excuse my pile to the left that's my gear including my cooler, I think the line maybe my CPAP tubing. Honestly not sure.

FB_IMG_1589156917215.jpg

FB_IMG_1589156927442.jpg

It depends on the unit......
We go campaign style, so we don't take tents, except for the beginning and the end of the year, when it is cold in our part of the country.
Having said that, we sleep "under the stars". In camp, our gun is limbered up and both are covered with a canvass. As such, we can get over 16 people sleeping comfortably, out of the rain (and I've seen some storms in my experience!)
To reiterate, it just depends on your unit and your preference.

Back