• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Vegetables To make Sweet Potatoes of Irish Potatoes

to make sweet potatoes of irish potatoes
1629397576523.png
(from The Independent, Oskaloosa, Kansas, June 17, 1865)

Ingredients:

Irish potatoes​
common brown sugar​

Instructions:

Steam them well and wring them in a towel to make them mealy, mash till there are no lumps left, and sweeten with common brown sugar to the taste. They are now ready to be baked, fried, or made into puddings.​

I could not resist sharing this for the many who opined about Irish potatoes!

I don't care what they say - that will NOT make anything like a real sweet potato!

Last edited by a moderator:
But seeing this sweet potato "hack" makes me wonder - were Northern states having trouble getting sweet potatoes because of the war? Did someone invent this method because they needed it?

One of my great aunts made a "potato cake". She made mashed spuds with milk, sugar and egg and frosted it with chocolate. I'm curious as to how far back in time this might go ? I can post the recipe. Baker's chocolate is pre-19th century so it's period. She was born in 1890's and probably got it from her mother. Her grandfather was a Confederate veteran and it may have come from that side of the family. :unsure:

One of my great aunts made a "potato cake". She made mashed spuds with milk, sugar and egg and frosted it with chocolate. I'm curious as to how far back in time this might go ? I can post the recipe. Baker's chocolate is pre-19th century so it's period. She was born in 1890's and probably got it from her mother. Her grandfather was a Confederate veteran and it may have come from that side of the family. :unsure:
I've seen old recipes for cake with all kinds of vegetables in it. Chocolate beet cake is great!

Back