"To do, or die:" Actions of the 4th Texas Infantry at Gaines’ Mill

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
By Jason C. Spellman

“I feel no hesitation in predicting that you, at least, will discharge your duties, and when the struggle does come, that proud banner you bear . . . will ever be found in the thickest of the fray – Fellow-soldiers – Texans – let us stand or fall together."
–Col. John B. Hood, March 8, 1862

Even after serving over a year in the field, the men of the Fourth Texas were eager for a definitive fight. One soldier in Co. F gave up his furlough at the chance of being in a fight, exclaiming, “I was so anxious to witness grand events that I determined to risk being compelled to take an active and perilous part in any battle necessary for their accomplishment.”1From what were then the westernmost counties of Texas, they had fervently responded to the Confederate government’s levies issued in 1861.2 By October, nearly all of the Texans had completed the journey east and were designated companies in Richmond, Va. Company officers were elected within the ranks but higher officials were authorized to appoint the regimental staff. Among the selections was a stranger to the regiment: John Bell Hood, a native Kentuckian who replaced the disliked former colonel. The regiment established a base (“Camp Texas”) outside of Richmond and drilled and re-supplied themselves in preparation for the on-coming months of action. But the winter concluded and spring arrived with little distinction other than routine patrolling, rear-guard assignments with the brigade along the Potomac River, devastating bouts of disease, and the monotony of camp life.

More: http://www.libertyrifles.org/research/4thtx-gainesmill-history.html

I thought Hoods Brigade was engaged at Lees Mill? I thought I had read an account somewhere talking about Cobb's brigade being with them there? Maybe not...?

Hood's Brigade, led by the 4th Texas, made the breakthrough at Gaines Mill. My namesake was slightly wounded.
Right but in reading the article via the link, it said that they were not engaged at Yorktown or Williamsburg. I thought I read somewhere that they we in hot and heavy with Cobbs brigade at Lees Mill?

Laura, I can find mentions of the 18th GA at Lee's Mill--both Cobbs were there--but no mention of Hood's Texans. Can you figure out where you read that? That was a period when there was a lot of switching around of troops, so I wonder if that was the case here and they simply weren't involved? I would think that would be mentioned a lot....if so, the Hood's Brigade folks would be working on a monument there (LOL.. Another canned Spam monument!) and I think I'd have it in my notes (which I just checked).

Laura, I can find mentions of the 18th GA at Lee's Mill--both Cobbs were there--but no mention of Hood's Texans. Can you figure out where you read that? That was a period when there was a lot of switching around of troops, so I wonder if that was the case here and they simply weren't involved? I would think that would be mentioned a lot....if so, the Hood's Brigade folks would be working on a monument there (LOL.. Another canned Spam monument!) and I think I'd have it in my notes (which I just checked).
Right @Nathanb1 18th GA was in Hoods Brigade at the time. They were switched to Cobb's in Nov 1862 after Sharpsburg. So if 18th GA saw action at Lee's Mill, maybe other Regts of Hoods were engaged there too?

Reading of Lee's Mill, only elements of Lafayette McLaw's Division was engaged. The Texas Brigade at the time was in Whiting's Division in the army's reserve.

Last edited:
I have an awesome print of Hood awaiting the assault by Gary Zaboly......finally managed to win a bid at Hood's Brigade.
Hey. Me too. :D

I believe I read that the 5th Alabama was given a lot of credit for their performance in this fight. They helped "soften up" the yankees before the final blow. Just did some research on the 5th which is why I thought I'd share it here.

I believe I read that the 5th Alabama was given a lot of credit for their performance in this fight. They helped "soften up" the yankees before the final blow. Just did some research on the 5th which is why I thought I'd share it here.
The 5th Alabama was in Robert E. Rode's Alabama Brigade; they were part of D. H. Hill's Division, which hit the Federal right flank in the final attacks late in the day. At the same time they hit the Union right, elements of Longstreet's and Jackson's commands hit the Union center. The Texas Brigade broke through at Boatswain's Swamp, which was at about the left center of the Federal line.

See this map:

Expired Image Removed

The 5th Alabama was in Robert E. Rode's Alabama Brigade; they were part of D. H. Hill's Division, which hit the Federal right flank in the final attacks late in the day. At the same time they hit the Union right, elements of Longstreet's and Jackson's commands hit the Union center. The Texas Brigade broke through at Boatswain's Swamp, which was at about the left center of the Federal line.

See this map:

Expired Image Removed
Is Gaines' Mill the only time R.E. Lee attacked with his entire force? (as opposed to Pickett's charge where he only attacked with nine brigades as opposed to the 22 total he had?)

Is Gaines' Mill the only time R.E. Lee attacked with his entire force? (as opposed to Pickett's charge where he only attacked with nine brigades as opposed to the 22 total he had?)
Speaking only of offensively fought battles, his entire force (as in what he had on hand) was engaged at Second Manassas, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg. There may have been smaller incidents where individual brigades were not engaged or not fully committed, but that was more so due to the division or corps commander's fault than Lee's.

In the case of Pickett's Charge, as I understand it, the additional brigades that should have been used and/or replaced some of the brigades that were were not more so due to the actions of Longstreet and A. P. Hill rather than Lee. Remember Lee ordered the attack but Longstreet was to actually direct it; it was his and Hill's decision as to what brigades were chosen to make the attack.

Back