To Ball Gown or Not to Ball Gown, that is the question.

s-l1600.jpg
I have this pattern. I’m short, so the chemise was a bit long. I made the pantalettes as well. I’ve got the muslin done for the corset, but that was as far as I got! (I bought a busk at a sewing expo not too long ago). I’ve found that old bedsheets just cry out to be used for these garments. (White, cotton).

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 32
I may be in the "too young to be wearing pantalettes crowd I think. If what I'm reading is correct, they were falling out of fashion during the 1860's, so a young woman such as myself would not be wearing them?

I may be in the "too young to be wearing pantalettes crowd I think. If what I'm reading is correct, they were falling out of fashion during the 1860's, so a young woman such as myself would not be wearing them?
I believe that the ones you would wear would be shorter. Think knee length. You certaintly would not be naked under the hoop..and with the split pantalettes you would wear a privacy slip, very short, in case of sudden arse over tea kettle manouevers. Talk about southern exposure! :frantic:

I believe that the ones you would wear would be shorter. Think knee length. You certaintly would not be naked under the hoop..and with the split pantalettes you would wear a privacy slip, very short, in case of sudden arse over tea kettle manouevers. Talk about southern exposure! :frantic:

I especially do NOT want that to happen! I'd never get a date, once that reputation spread throughout town!

So shorter pantalettes and a modesty slip, plus the top portion. I wasn't dealing well with the heat the other day wearing my normal bra and panties, a thin t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops, I thought I might die walking between my car and the grocery store. How did these ladies deal with so many layers in the dead heat of summer, and having to do actual work in them? I imagine it would be nice in winter though, and the gentlemen really didn't have it much better, just as many layers there.

Anyway, did you get your dress finished yet?

Last edited:
I especially do NOT want that to happen! I'd never get a date, once that reputation spread throughout town!

So shorter pantalettes and a modesty slip, plus the top portion. I wasn't dealing well with the heat the other day wearing my normal bra and panties, a thin t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops, I thought I might die walking between my car and the grocery store. How did these ladies deal with so many layers in the dead heat of summer, and having to do actual work in them? I imagine it would be nice in winter though, and the gentlemen really didn't have it much better, just as many layers there.

Yes, it is finished! I’ll have to get pictures and post them. I could take a picture of the ball gown bodice today. Stay tuned!

Believe it or not all the cotton underpinnings HELP keep you cool! It absorbs the perspiration (NOT synthetic fabrics that would hold the heat and make your skin clammy) and while it's wet underneath keeps the coolness on your skin. It breathes so it doesn't get clammy. Just be prepared you may be "peeling" off your wet undergarments when you get undressed. The chemise actually protects your dress and corset from perspiration stains.
Think of it as when your bathing suit is still wet poolside and you're not as hot under the sun. :cool:

Back