Tintype uniform

raibos

Cadet
Found this gentleman on a tintype I recently acquired. I like old photos but I'm not up on Civil War artifacts. Trying to figure out the uni -- the hat looks like a kepi with crossed cannon, the jacket has sleeve braids. What's up with the chest embroidery? Is it Civil War? Union? Are those 2nd Lt. epaulettes? I've tried looking it up on-line but I don't know enough uniform technical terms to narrow the search.

civiluni.jpg

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. He has crossed rifles and from the uniform its a post war photo.

This appears to be an infantry officer wearing a Model 1872 officer jacket. However, some militia companies wore these right up until the Spanish American War and there are reasons to believe this image was taken well after 1872. Although officers went to a new style jacket in 1892, not all National Guard officers changed to the new jacket in 1892.

Look at the style of his leggings. Note the infantry branch color is after the infantry switch to white as thier branch color. Look at the height of the white shirt collar.

Found this gentleman on a tintype I recently acquired. I like old photos but I'm not up on Civil War artifacts. Trying to figure out the uni -- the hat looks like a kepi with crossed cannon, the jacket has sleeve braids. What's up with the chest embroidery? Is it Civil War? Union? Are those 2nd Lt. epaulettes? I've tried looking it up on-line but I don't know enough uniform technical terms to narrow the search.

View attachment 210152
I neglected to comment before on the fact that it's a tintype - although those are correctly associated with the Civil War, having been originated ca. 1860, they in fact remained popular even into the Twentieth Century. Also, epaulettes are large and usually fringed; those in the picture are properly called shoulder straps.

Thanks again to everyone. I found a modern repro of the pattern 1872 Officers Fatigue Blouse and it looks like a match even has similar shoulder straps. It was categorized under Indian Wars, so probably closer to Wounded Knee than the Civil War. I appreciate the help!

One of the keys is to identify the legging he is wearing. The Model 1889 leggings are shorter so to me these look to be Model 1894 leggings. However, because of the angle of his legs it is hard to be sure. Also know that the Model 1895 and Model 1897 leggings in general look similar and faded Model 1895 and Model 1897 leggings would look similar. Do we have any US Army leggings experts on the forum?

I am predicting this image is from the 1890s.
Welcome from central Ohio. I agree with @major bill on an 1890s date. IIRC it was the 1887 uniform regulations that changed the color for infantry from blue to white. The shoulder straps and trouser stripes are both white. I initially thought it was an 1892 pattern Undress Blouse but looking closer the collar is a falling collar not the standing mohair collar of the 1892 pattern coat so the coat is most likely an 1872 pattern. The hunting horn insignia was changed to the crossed muskets in 1875/1876. I don't think this was answered yet but it does appear the shoulder straps indicate a 2nd lieutenant. Is there more to this image? Maybe it would help to see who is at the left of the photo.

Welcome from Missouri. I honestly don't know, but I'm guessing it's a post war uniform, and maybe even a specialty of some sort--such as the regimental band director for an infantry unit. That's just a wild guess. Anyway, it'll be fun to find out what it is.

Back