Timetable of troops arrivals at Gettysburg

Luke Freet

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
So, me and a few friends of mine are working out an online wargame of the battle, hopefully to inspire more Civil War-themed scenarios on our group. Does anyone have a good timetable on when divisions arrived on the field? I assume that information is readily available somewhere, I am just not perceptive enough to find it.

Easy enough to assemble this information, but first you must define the boundary where they would be considered "on the field." Also a division in column might take up to a half hour to pass a certain point from the first soldier in the lead brigade to the last soldier in the rear brigade. The original Gettysburg board game included such a timetable.

Ok, found the game:

Confederate
July 1, "At the start" - Heth, Chambersburg Pike
7 am - Pender, Chambersburg Pike
8 am - Rodes, Carlisle Road
noon - Early, Harrisburg Road
1 pm - Anderson, Chambersburg Pike
3 pm - Johnson, Carlisle Road
5 pm - Hood and McLaws, Chambersburg Pike
July 2
10 am - Pickett, Chambersburg Pike
noon - Hampton, F. Lee, WHF Lee, Jenkins, Carlisle Road
2 pm - Imboden, Robertson, Jones, Chambersburg Pike

Union
July 1, "At the Start" - Gamble and Devin. Wadsworth, Robinson and Rowley, Emmitsburg Road
8 am - Von Steinwehr, Schurz, Taneytown Road. Barlow, Emmitsburg Road
2 pm - Williams and Geary, Baltimore Pike. Birney, Emmitsburg Road
6 pm - Caldwell, Gibbon and Hays, Taneytown Road. Humphreys, Emmitsburg Road
7 pm - Artillery Reserve brigades, Taneytown Road. Barnes, Ayres and Crawford, Baltimore Pike
July 2
9 am - Custer, Farnsworth, McIntosh, Gregg, Huey, Hanover or Baltimore Pike
noon - Wright, Howe and Wheaton, Baltimore Pike
July 3
8 am - Merritt, Emmitsburg Road

Ok, found the game:

Confederate
July 1, "At the start" - Heth, Chambersburg Pike
7 am - Pender, Chambersburg Pike
8 am - Rodes, Carlisle Road
noon - Early, Harrisburg Road
1 pm - Anderson, Chambersburg Pike
3 pm - Johnson, Carlisle Road
5 pm - Hood and McLaws, Chambersburg Pike
July 2
10 am - Pickett, Chambersburg Pike
noon - Hampton, F. Lee, WHF Lee, Jenkins, Carlisle Road
2 pm - Imboden, Robertson, Jones, Chambersburg Pike

Union
July 1, "At the Start" - Gamble and Devin. Wadsworth, Robinson and Rowley, Emmitsburg Road
8 am - Von Steinwehr, Schurz, Taneytown Road. Barlow, Emmitsburg Road
2 pm - Williams and Geary, Baltimore Pike. Birney, Emmitsburg Road
6 pm - Caldwell, Gibbon and Hays, Taneytown Road. Humphreys, Emmitsburg Road
7 pm - Artillery Reserve brigades, Taneytown Road. Barnes, Ayres and Crawford, Baltimore Pike
July 2
9 am - Custer, Farnsworth, McIntosh, Gregg, Huey, Hanover or Baltimore Pike
noon - Wright, Howe and Wheaton, Baltimore Pike
July 3
8 am - Merritt, Emmitsburg Road
Thank you immensely. I think this will be sufficient for what my friends are planning.

Last edited:
Doesn't Johnson's Division come to Gettysburg on the Chambersburg Pike, and not on the Carlisle Road? Longstreet's Corps was told to wait for them to pass, which is why Hood and McLaws don't get on the road until rather late.

Good catch, although I recall they diverted to their left through the fields where Rodes fought and came in on the Mummasburg Road, halting in the town around sunset.

So, me and a few friends of mine are working out an online wargame of the battle, hopefully to inspire more Civil War-themed scenarios on our group. Does anyone have a good timetable on when divisions arrived on the field? I assume that information is readily available somewhere, I am just not perceptive enough to find it.
For myself , I am more interested in what these troops did once they arrived on the scene. Who or how did they know what area were they to take or did they just move into their own area of the field. Neither Meade nor Lee was on sight till latter in the day, I do know of Meade, but Lee did not know where his divisions were as he arrived on the scene. The wisest thing the Union did was to take the arear of best view of the battle field on the first day ,

Back