Time Out In Huntsville, General Logan's Unlikely Ball

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
ball alam logn.JPG

From Harper's Weekly, a deceptively peaceful military occupation of Huntsville, Alabama during General Logan's tenure, snip from the larger image below.

ball alab log hq.JPG

Beset by gunboats, skirted by Sherman's Army, new home to Union troops making uneasy peace during war. What you have to love are the ' war correspondents ', microphone in hand, sending human interest stories home.

We hear of wonderful, chandelier lit balls elsewhere in the war. Harper's took the time to bring readers one, small delightful evening in Huntsville, Alabama. The Virginia Reel? Danced 7 times. Why is this tiny ball worthy of a thread? Harpers felt it worthy of an article- and illustrations. Time out from war, that's why. Privates and officers attended- we never hear that. What a great night.

You have to love this stuff.

ball ala text.JPG

ball ala.JPG

No gala ball dress? It's pretty, not ' fine '. This was fun night and a break from bombardments, marching, tents and hardtack. And the women? Please do not tell me Union women traveled all the way to Alabama. No traitorous females here, just girls, dancing in the middle of a war.

ball alabm big.jpg

ball pic1 second crop.jpg

Wounded men, pretty girls, a night off from war.

ball ala music.JPG

1821, Hathitrust, The Virginia Reel was awfully popular- and perhaps called for again and again and again because it was just, plain fun.

ball ala news.JPG

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....

rose single.JPG

It was just, plain lovely to get away , once in awhile, something lovely in all the awful. Thank you, Harper's Weekly.

Attachments

• ball alam logn.JPG
    ball alam logn.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 111
Same reason, taking time out from all the awful. Old thread, may seem silly bringing it up again.

Maybe it is indeed a big snore, a ball, dancing instead of shooting, observing what were then elaborate rituals based in a civility adhered to by our ancestors like social glue. And perhaps a good portion of it could be construed as a bit of a charade beneath which existed other social norms we'd flinch at today, and hard.

But. Our ancestors practiced a grace while rubbing elbows with each other nearly lost at the moment. These endless balls seriously are not mere relics of the past maybe marveled at as quaint. Etiquette attached amounted to the art of being nice to each other. That's what you were judged on. Not such a crazy thought.

Reminds me straight out of Gone with the Wind. Sketching was very popular back then before the camera was invited. That was there source of media.

I like the illustrations. The war had many sides, and I am sure the men were very happy to have the opportunity for a ball, to be able to dance with someone completely different than themselves. Female company was always desired if nothing more than to talk. It was good for them to remember they were just people too. I suspect they had a hard time remembering their manners, although I am sure they remembered them quickly enough. They had fairly strict rules of etiquette, and behavior, which we tend to forget, although they were not so different from us today.

The thing I very much like about the balls I have attended, is that you change partners..so, if you didn’t come with anyone special, you could still pretty much dance every dance if you desired. I’ve even danced with Mr. Lincoln. We made an intersting couple, as I am quite short! He apologized for his skills, as he said his Mary doesn’t dance much anymore, due to her poor leg.

Back