Time Out For Our Ancestors! Winter Straps On War's Respite

Yes, I was of two minds over it- and very nearly did not do this thread. Actually have a thread where Mary Lincoln ( as usual ) is accused of being one of the well-heeled pleasure seekers at Saratoga Springs exotic hotel- she had to publish a letter stating no, she was in DC. There was certainly an overlay of the uber-wealthy enjoying themselves at lavish locations dedicated to their entertainment during those years.It's all very ' iew ', still digging around on a thread. I think I was hoping perhaps the whole thing wouldn't be so awful- it's pretty awful. As you said, while soldiers are suffering, an awful lot of people with n awful lot of money were having a splendid time.

Looking into it, this seems different? While certainly we see in Godeys and Demorest's some lavish ' Skating Costumes ', seems more an escape into some community based enjoyment, leaving war behind for awhile. Most classes ( glaringly missing is one race ) seem present. In a day when artwork was hugely representational with symbols galore, seem to be carefully inserted military caps and capes. And flags.

Sorry JPK I don't see the military caps and just one flag, where it should be on the top of the cupola. I've looked at this for many years and I always assumed that it was done well after the war. I agree that its "an escape" though. At that time recreation was new. The folks who worked seven days a week, 10-12 hours a day didn't have much time or need for physical recreation.

Thanks for your posts. I always enjoy them.

What's so odd is, once Christmas is over images of ' winter ' seem to vanish. Plenty of winter left but everyone's sweeping Christmas tree needles from under the mat, watching for crocus and putting away all our snowmen, Currier and Ives prints and the winter fest is over?

Here's the thing- we were OUT there in it, and as communities. Skating, sleighing, sledding- we LOVED winter. It's rare to see kids sledding now but BOY that's all kids did even a fairly short time ago. Remember? Best hill in town, someone would block off car traffic and it was a crowded hill. I'm not genuinely being ' good old days ' nostalgic, it's just the way it was.
The massive skating clubs in cities were merely a reflection of what was going on everywhere- we were OUTSIDE, having blast.

frankleslies skate.jpg

Another from one of Frank Leslie's spreads. Sleighs we necessary, sure but also became a major part of the whole winter festival aspect.

What seems clear is we knew at the time sleighs were picturesque- and loved it.

First person to describe the bloody accidents responsible for sleigh bells gets to eat one. We KNOW why, that we have that sound forever associated with winter, snow and being out there is the best ever outcome.

It's ok, images are all public access, between NYPL, LoC and various books in Hathitrust. You sometimes see some of these for some reason watermarked and pay-per-use, always surprises me! Nope, found them myself.

sled kids.jpg

I'm guessing quite a few of us do still see kids sledding but tends to be their own yard or maybe a park? It was a HUGE part of childhood. Then someone got their hands on a toboggan and adults decided it was ok, too.

There are more than a few images depicting Broadway in winter- must have been remarkable enough to document.
sled broadway.jpg

sleigh race 2.JPG

Sleigh races were big- and had to have been a blast! OK, I'm easily distracted and now have to go look up ( or ask my son ) what on earth horseshoes looked like that allowed this kind of thing.

One of my all-time favorites- I don't even like cities, at all, anytime, in any circumstance but would have loved getting a look at one in the snow 150 years ago. I'm trying to stick to era- meaning as close to the Civil War as possible.
sleigh barnums crop.jpg

This image may have a point to it, too? White carriage and horses, a dignitary inside and what looks like the scene when this one displaced traffic? Can NOT find more on it.

No mention of Christmas- we just, plain liked winter!

winter old kids book.jpg

This is a little post war but close enough- " Winter Days ", not a Christmas tree or Santa in sight!

sleigh winter.jpg

Forecast here in PA is for 5-8" beginning Friday. It's tougher out here in the woods - crashing into trees is just no fun BUT we'll be out there, be sure.

Back