mt155

First Sergeant
Annual Winner
Now

9511377827_c6543b6a51_b.jpg

Then
9514173950_0bab320f8f_b.png

Good question.

I don't think that's what happened, but the stone definitely looks to have been altered over time.

Here is the current National Park Service photo of the monument:

View attachment 71682
http://www.nps.gov/vick/learn/historyculture/tilghmanmon.htm

This stone looks like limestone. When my SUV camp cleans up around CW veterans' graves we have noticed that limestone deteriorates over time altering the original shape of the stone. We have a lot of limestone in Ohio so consequently, a lot of stones of the kind. Just a thought.

The first reenactment I played a drum at was Champion's Hill. I still remember all the flies from the local chicken house.... Clouds of flies... Now that I think about it, flies covering a battlefield probably made it more authentic.

One can imagine how the stone might wear down over time, but to me it looks like the opposite, like there is more distance from the plaque to the top of the stone, particularly on the right, in the modern photo...

Great pictures and comments everyone... does any one know if there are future plans to put more monuments on the Champion Hill battlefield?

So it's not the same stone?
You can see a small crack at the top left corner of the plaque in both photos, and you can also see the same shape formed under the bottom right corner of the plaque, so it looks like the same rock. I bet it has either withered away over time or someone had chipped away at it at some point.

Back