Three tombstones at Senecaville

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
I recently visited the Senecaville, Ohio cemetery to find this gentleman (my great-great-grandfather on my dad's mom's mom's side):
100_1035.JPG

But along the way I noticed two other interesting stones:

100_1032.JPG

I think I've seen this one somewhere before. Is it possible some other member posted it at some point? "Watson" was what caught my eye, because I'm related to some, though I am not currently aware of any connection with Robert L.

And then there was this:
100_1030.JPG

The fascinating thing about this one is the location and the date. Senecaville was right on the track of Morgan's troopers, and the date is right. This must have been one of Morgan's men.

That's eye catching and a lot sad. Drummer boys get portrayed as somehow quaint or just interesting but drummer boy Watson was twelve- twelve, in 1861. Dying in Ohio, so far from home? 12 year old boys in 2019 put empty milk cartons back in the fridge, trail dirty socks through the house and can generally be found up a tree somewhere. They don't die in uniform, anyway.

Actually, Watson didn't die at 12 - he lived till 1944, so he was 95. I'm curious as to whether he was a North Carolinian who later moved to Ohio or was an Ohioan that somehow served with the Confederacy... the former option would seem more likely to me, but I can't rule out the latter.

Back