Cemetery Three iron crosses honoring Confederate veterans have been stolen from historic Sheldon church near

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Three iron crosses honoring Confederate veterans have been stolen from historic Sheldon church near Beaufort

YEMASSEE — Three iron crosses honoring Confederate veterans were stolen from the historic Old Sheldon Church ruins, leaving the site's caretakers and state historians aghast.

Authentic "Southern Cross of Honor" markers are a black market collector's item. The theft also could be another example of "protest" vandalism sweeping the country. South Carolina and other states in the region are wrestling with how to balance heritage while placating a rise in anti-Confederate protests after the shootings at Emanuel AME Church and other recent events.

Whatever the case, the crime is a felony and one that disgusts the people who watch over such sites.

More: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/...cle_0c523ca2-0291-11e7-b617-139f531aedc1.html

I'm not surprised with the times as they are. They better hope I don't catch anyone doing that as I will show No Quarter:banghead:

Oconee hills.jpg
Sad to see this. I saw this on the church.

http://www.sciway.net/sc-photos/beaufort-county/old-sheldon-church.html

Were these men killed in the Civil War? I see the church was either burned at the end of the war by Union troops or taken apart by civilians in 1866.

Pat,
They may or may not have been killed during the war. It is very common here in the South that either UDC, SCV, or family members place head stones and other memorials such as the iron cross markers.
Our SCV camp works to place flags on the graves of about 900 Confederate veterans in our vicinity for the week of Confederate Memorial Day every year. The largest part of these burials are veterans who returned home from the war and died after the war . I don't know the percentage but I feel largest part of Confederate dead were buried on or near the battle fields.

The attached image shows part of one cemetery we flag each year. This particular area is unknown soldiers who died in a hospital near the cemetery in Athens, Ga. Note that there are some iron crosses here.

Back