Threadmarks - New Feature

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
@gentlemanrob @JPK Huson 1863 @GELongstreet Here is something you might have some interest in.

So, I started using Threadmarks for the first time today. I used it on this Bio:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/lincoln-abraham.164142/
So what is this thing? Well, if you look at the top of the Thread, you will see at the top Right Above the Image of Lincoln is a subtle text link that says "Index" and across from there on the Left side you should see: Threadmarks - Biographical Profile

Index is exactly what it sounds like, it's an index, or maybe more like a MENU or items to look at. Each post in the Thread may be Marked with descriptive name we'll use to describe that Threadmark (That's the Biographical Profile you saw earlier)!

It works sort of like a Bookmark, but more like a menu, or perhaps a table of contents for a thread!

So this is a pretty powerful tool. Used properly it can make our forum much easier to navigate, and you can actually navigate a series of posts in a thread, and skip the comment posts.

Each Threadmarked post will show it's "Mark" name on the left, and Index on the Right.

It's also possible to use Threadmarks to jump to other threads in the forum, but I don't know if you can continue the circuit once you leave the original thread, that's an experiment for tomorrow!

Finally, you may see a link to "Reader Mode". This may not seem to do a lot in this thread, but what it does is eliminate all the non-threadmark posts, and string all the threadmarks together as one continuous thread. I've sort of defeated the purpose of that by choosing 4 posts in a row in my Lincoln thread. But that's how it works....

So imagine using this in one of those 700 post threads, you go through, threadmark 20, 40, or 100 good, great, or awesome posts, and tell everyone to read that instead of trying to read everything straight through, and you've just made life not only easier, but you've surfaced the needles in the haystack for everyone to look at!

So, impressed? Underwhelmed? Confused? What do you think?

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
We might just be breaking out of this definition now:

Article:
An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages. They differ from chat rooms in that messages are often longer than one line of text, and are at least temporarily archived. Also, depending on the access level of a user or the forum set-up, a posted message might need to be approved by a moderator before it becomes publicly visible.

Forums have a specific set of jargon associated with them; example: a single conversation is called a "thread", or topic.
A discussion forum is hierarchical or tree-like in structure: a forum can contain a number of subforums, each of which may have several topics. Within a forum's topic, each new discussion started is called a thread and can be replied to by as many people as so wish.

gentlemanrob

Brigadier General
Forum Host
We might just be breaking out of this definition now:

Article:
An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages. They differ from chat rooms in that messages are often longer than one line of text, and are at least temporarily archived. Also, depending on the access level of a user or the forum set-up, a posted message might need to be approved by a moderator before it becomes publicly visible.

Forums have a specific set of jargon associated with them; example: a single conversation is called a "thread", or topic.
A discussion forum is hierarchical or tree-like in structure: a forum can contain a number of subforums, each of which may have several topics. Within a forum's topic, each new discussion started is called a thread and can be replied to by as many people as so wish.

I think we are building our own Frankenstein

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
I look forward to seeing it hopefully it has where you can turn a sideways photo back up to position.
Yeah, that's the one stupid thing I haven't been able to fix, ever since I moved the attachments to the S3 server, our developer has been stubborn about updating his add-on to correct photos. And unfortunately, there isn't another option that works well.

So that's a dangit.

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Yeah, I have a lot of neat new toys to play with and I'm going to have to learn how they all work. I plan to use threads in here to show off the new stuff we have brewing and also to try out the functionality, I've been watching this stuff working elsewhere, nice to see that it can work here too.

Trouble will be teaching people other than me how to use the new tools. There is a small learning curve, it's not like making Bold Text....

gentlemanrob

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Yeah, I have a lot of neat new toys to play with and I'm going to have to learn how they all work. I plan to use threads in here to show off the new stuff we have brewing and also to try out the functionality, I've been watching this stuff working elsewhere, nice to see that it can work here too.

Trouble will be teaching people other than me how to use the new tools. There is a small learning curve, it's not like making Bold Text....

I love technology and technology toys can be a lot of fun.

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
It's a very cool although sounds awfully dependent on who does the marking? Am I getting the wrong idea, please?

Threads where members disagree on a topic ( I know it's more like a ' what if ' because no one disagrees on anything to do with ACW :roflmao: ) could be prone to one side or the other marking posts which include information promoting what they feel to be important?

OK, these bats are making me a little seasick. When one gets into our house we throw a big sheet over it, drop it and put it out the door.

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
It's a very cool although sounds awfully dependent on who does the marking? Am I getting the wrong idea, please?

Threads where members disagree on a topic ( I know it's more like a ' what if ' because no one disagrees on anything to do with ACW :roflmao: ) could be prone to one side or the other marking posts which include information promoting what they feel to be important?
Yes, threadmarking is not something you would let everyone do. That would be a chaotic mess. First, we will need to build a couple of good example threads that use threadmarking, besides my first Lincoln attempt, and let members get used to the idea. It’s new to them too.

I’m actually hoping to go through threads like Golden Threads and Ami’s SOA Threads and Threadmark them if that makes sense for them...

I would imagine it may only be a select group of members, selected editors, perhaps moderators. Threadmarks aren’t hard to use, but I think you can overdo them, and as you said, if you had a bias, you could abuse them.

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Oh, and we may create a process at some point for members to request threadmarks for their thread, that’s easy to do.

For a request we need name of thread, a description of why a threadmark list, a list of post numbers to be marked, with a descriptive title for each number, so a request would look like:

- https://civilwartalk.com/threads/greatest-movie-scenes.72020/
Threadmarks go to scenes voted as the best by members of CWT
1 Jim’s greatest movie scenes introduction
12 Greatest Action Movie Scene
87 Greatest Comedy Scene
149 Greatest Romance Scene
199 Greatest Cartoon Scene
207 Greatest Sci-Fi Scene
301 Greatest Musical Scene
582 Greatest Scene of all time