Thread Tag Management Plan

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
TAGS! We need to get some control over tags. I'm going to install a tag manager, and I can assign a group of users the privilege of adding and removing tags from the available list.

It's also possible to take tags and merge them, like MS, Miss, and Mississippi all merge to the same tag.

We can also blacklist tags we don't want on the forum, like if it's too common, or just not academic, or not something we want on the forum.

Then tags will become a more useful thing, and be more helpful to our project.

So, as we move along, we will want to find some members who are willing to work on the tag system to get it fixed up, clean out the old tags, and add any new tags worth adding.

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
@=EditorCorps

So, I've got the new tag system setup! So this means we have another piece of the puzzle that we can work on.

Let me show you what I was able to do.

I started with Abe Lincoln's bio page:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/lincoln-abraham.164142/
I went and added an "Abraham Lincoln" tag to that page, because prior to that, it had no tag at all....

Then I went into the admin console, and I found "A. Lincoln" and "Abe Lincoln" and a few other variations on that tag and merged those into the "Abraham Lincoln" tag, I was also able to add these terms as synonyms of "Abraham Lincoln", so any new threads will merge into the same tag.

Next, I setup the page. I clicked on the Abraham Lincoln tag on Abe's Profile Page:

1573525295546.png

On the next screen there was a list of pages that used the Abraham Lincoln tag.

There was also a Watch Tag button and a Edit Tag button like this:

1573525224976.png

Clicking Edit, I added a small version of Lincoln's photo, and I grabbed the top description from wikipedia for Lincoln:
Article:
Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865) was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th president of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the nation through the American Civil War, its bloodiest war and its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis.[2][3] He preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the U.S. economy.

...and rewrote it into this...

Article:
Abraham Lincoln was politician and lawyer from Illinois who served as the 16th President of the United States of America. He held his office from March of 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln's election led the nation into a secession crisis that turned into the American Civil War, the bloodiest war in this nations history. As president, Lincoln attempted to abolished slavery, and defeat the Confederate Rebellion in order to preserve the Union.

I took a few additional steps, I added a link at the bottom of the tag page back to our Bio page. Then I added the new tag to every thread in the Lincoln forum. I also setup the Lincoln forum so all new threads in that forum automatically get that tag.

Now if you "Hover" over the Abraham Lincoln tag, you get a preview, with the link in the description, straight to the main Bio page. Here is what you see when you put your mouse over the Tag...

1573526074252.png

And that's it for now, it took me about 2 or 3 minutes to work on the tag, and maybe 4 or 5 minutes to re-write the Wikipedia description. I'm thinking this is what we will want to do for each and every bio we make that has a Wikipedia bio to make it ours, and not an exact copy.

Feel free to look at the new tag I setup, and I'll plan to adjust the settings for editors tomorrow, I'll need to read the manual and learn how all that works, and see what parts you can have access to, some parts are here on the front end, other parts are on the back end.

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
I'll make sure to navigate the new way- a big fog overtakes my head with new stuff/tech. So I mean I'll try. :angel:
Well, the beauty of the new tags is that you can use them if you wish, the old navigation will always work. The advantage to the new system is for people who are novice's to history will have more information at their fingertips. The only issue I see at the moment is making it more obvious that a tag has more information contained in it.