Thread for People to Discuss Why They Are Not Going to Watch "Reconstruction" The Henry Louis Gates Documentary Tonight

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
I found out last week that some folks at CWT who did not watch the new Henry Louis Gates documentary "Reconstruction" wanted to talk about why they did not watch it. To facilitate that, I have created this thread. If you want to express yourself on why you are not watching the two-part series on PBS, this is the place!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
Well, I'm not watching it tonight but I hope to view it later. I watched the first episode the next day.
Hubby is home and after supper we like to catch up on other shows together. He has been preparing for Easter too. I can watch it during the day when he is not home from work.
Probably not the reason others didn't watch but I figured I'd share!
:smile:

Last edited:

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Well, I'm not watching it tonight but I hope to view it later. I watched the first episode the the next day.
Hubby is home and after supper we like to catch up on other shows together. He has been preparing for Easter too. I can watch it during the day when he is not home from work.
Good reason.

Norm53

Sergeant
I found out last week that some folks at CWT who did not watch the new Henry Louis Gates documentary "Reconstruction" wanted to talk about why they did not watch it. To facilitate that, I have created this thread. If you want to express yourself on why you are not watching the two-part series on PBS, this is the place!
Foner's book is enough Reconstruction for me. Rather than read more details, I moved on to Southern white-black relations under the Black Codes, then on to the Plessy, Brown, black activism in the 1960s, and how Presidents from Eisenhower to Johnson and their Congresses handled civil rights issues. Presently I've moved on to other CW aspects and other reading genres. Also, I don't watch documentaries where most of the time is spent listening to pundits talk, interspersed with still photos. Books have more space for narrative and therefore treat the subject more adequately. If I'm going to watch a documentary, it has to be live, such as the news coverage and videos of civil rights confrontations, or other live action scenes, such as war footage, Nanook of the North, burning of Notre Dame, and the like.

O' Be Joyful

Sergeant Major
Use-ta be: Zinn-zä-nätti o-HI-o The BIG city.
Well, I'm not watching it tonight but I hope to view it later. I watched the first episode the next day.
My, mam' ma told me once...that wisdom can be shared...in a 1000 ways. :angel: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: All ya' gotta do...is pick up a GOOD book un' larn' som'thin. :wub: Ash.

RochesterBill

Corporal
I would watch it but whenever I feel the need to be lectured to about how slavery and it's antecedents were, like, really bad and stuff, I just hop on CWT and follow the latest Pat Young screed.

Of which there is never a shortage.

So I'm set.

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
I didn't watch the documentary in no small part because I don't watch television.
That's me too. Rarely do I watch anything on television. Watched some of The Masters last weekend. Other than that,my TV hasn't been turned on in 2 weeks.

Norm53

Sergeant
I'm so happy to read that others besides myself do not watch cable TV. Until now I thought that I might be the only screwball in the US, so never admitted to my peculiarity. The documentaries that I watch are from newsletters and DVDs. I receive around 50 free newsletters each day from around the world to keep up with current events that I can read nonstop while skipping the ads. Can't do that with TV. Comcast/Xfinity provides the Internet and Telephone only.

Last edited:

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
There were far more white sharecroppers than black. Much of the white and black population of the South was impoverished for decades after the war. This was NOT a replacement for slavery.
Is there a good source for numbers of sharecroppers during the 1870s?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!