Restricted Thoughts on this monument of a Union soldier.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Yesterday I was on a quilting fabric trip with my wife but had time to top in St. Johns, Michigan to see a monument at the local cemetery.
Perhaps it is just me but the Civil War soldier looks a bit off. Seeing that the local GAR post had this monument made they must have been happy with how it looks.

St. johns.jpg
St. Johns 2.jpg

Maybe the hat looks like it has a thin brim? The collar on the sack coat looks too big. The waist belt looks too thin. the sack coat just does not look right.

The monument does have its good points. I do like the pose. The monument is simple and concentrates on the soldier.

PapaReb

First Sergeant
@major bill I think we may share a common affliction. At times when I view a monument/statue or a documentary or a movie I find myself not being able to fully enjoy it because I catch myself picking out historical inaccuracies like “that weapon didn’t exist yet” or “that uniform isn’t quite right” or “that battle didn’t happen that way”. Even when I tell myself “I’m not going to do it this time” I can’t seem to help myself. I wonder if there is a support group for those of us that suffer from this affliction?

Beyond that, I see what you’re saying amount the monument, but if the ones who commissioned it were satisfied I guess we should be also.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
@major bill I think we may share a common affliction. At times when I view a monument/statue or a documentary or a movie I find myself not being able to fully enjoy it because I catch myself picking out historical inaccuracies like “that weapon didn’t exist yet” or “that uniform isn’t quite right” or “that battle didn’t happen that way”. Even when I tell myself “I’m not going to do it this time” I can’t seem to help myself. I wonder if there is a support group for those of us that suffer from this affliction?

Beyond that, I see what you’re saying amount the monument, but if the ones who commissioned it were satisfied I guess we should be also.

I enjoy the same problem whenever I see a movie that has a morse code signal sent during an intense scene. More often than not, the message an actor reads aloud supposedly 1 or 2 page document just sent, is just a few, random letters that mean exactly nothing in the received message!

The movie, The Bridge Over The River Kuawi, does exactly that. Blew the whole picture for me!

Last edited:

Booklady

Corporal
Neil deGrasse Tyson complained that the night sky over the wreck of the Titanic was all wrong in the movie, with Kate Winslet looking up from her floating door. I think in revised edits of the movie they changed it because of his expertise! 🤩

You guys similarly amaze me with your impressive detailed knowledge of uniforms and weaponry.