NF Thoughts on North South Trader's Civil War magazine.

Non-Fiction

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
So not a book or movie but a magazine so this can be moved. Because I am not a relic hunter I do not subscribe to this magazine. Still off and on I will purchase a used copy in a book store if that issue has an article I find interesting. Some of the articles are great, but I am not sure that if I subscribed every issue would have an article of interest to me. The cost of a subscription is a bit high.

I am assuming some of or forum members subscribe to North South Trader's Civil War magazine. Not being a relic hunter, would it be worth subscribing to?

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some subscribers around here somewhere. As for North South Trader, I've never subscribed, I'm not good at subscribing to any magazine, but I know a lot of people who do, and I've mostly heard only good things.

I know every now and again they have good articles on uniforms and other stuff, one interesting article I have read is one by Fred Adolphus concerning a Type II Richmond Depot that was worn by a Union POW at Camp Ford, Tyler TX. Another I've read was on a Colt carried by Mosby, and several others. One I've heard a lot of, but haven't seen is one on Washington Artillery uniforms, which I do want to read.

I would say its worth subscribing to, I've thought of doing it myself several times, then forgot with the purchase of a new book or simply got distracted. One thing I would caution on is from what I've heard, there are some articles from time to time by relic hunters who write based on not so good information sometimes, but I'd also say the good outweighs the bad.

Anyone,

I am in need of an article from North-South Trader (March-April 1988). It has article/info on Henry Ramsdell (124th NY Orange Blossoms") and a picture of him. If someone has it, could they shoot it with their phone and send it to me?

Thank you.

Theodore P. Savas
Savas Beatie

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some subscribers around here somewhere. As for North South Trader, I've never subscribed, I'm not good at subscribing to any magazine, but I know a lot of people who do, and I've mostly heard only good things.

I know every now and again they have good articles on uniforms and other stuff, one interesting article I have read is one by Fred Adolphus concerning a Type II Richmond Depot that was worn by a Union POW at Camp Ford, Tyler TX. Another I've read was on a Colt carried by Mosby, and several others. One I've heard a lot of, but haven't seen is one on Washington Artillery uniforms, which I do want to read.

I would say its worth subscribing to, I've thought of doing it myself several times, then forgot with the purchase of a new book or simply got distracted. One thing I would caution on is from what I've heard, there are some articles from time to time by relic hunters who write based on not so good information sometimes, but I'd also say the good outweighs the bad.
Yep, that jacket Adolphus was talking about is here in Springfield, IL at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library.

85_1.jpg

Ramsdell far right.

20210221_203015.jpg

Ramsdell seated left.

20210221_202910.jpg

20210221_202945.jpg

Pics from old Cowan's Auctions catalog and The 124th NYSV in the Civil War by Charles J. LaRocca.

Back