Thoughts on Ken Burns: The Civil War

The Blue Ghost

Private
When I first got "The Civil War" from my Uncle, I finished the nine some episodes in about a week. Even though the whole documentary was full of audio, pictures, and documentaries, I loved it. Out of 10 I'd give it a 10/10. What are your guys's thoughts?

I remember when it was first broadcast by PBS. I looked forward to every show. I have had the dvd since it came out and still watch it quite often. A fine piece of work, with the Shelby Foote's comments one of my favorite features.

I remember when it was first broadcast by PBS. I looked forward to every show. I have had the dvd since it came out and still watch it quite often. A fine piece of work, with the Shelby Foote's comments one of my favorite features.
Agreed, I loved the reenactments of the soldiers' and generals' voices as well.

It's one of the best documentaries produced on any historical topic. It ranks up there with the BBC's The Great War and The World at War. Every ACW buff should own the DVDs. However, I do have a couple criticisms. Burns spends way too much time on Gettysburg. He could have easily edited out 15-20 minutes worth and then used that time to discuss subjects that weren't mentioned, such as Perryville, Stones River, and the Andrews Raiders, or provide additional details on Second Manassas, Chickamauga, and Franklin. My other criticism is that the series gravitates toward the Northern experience. For example, the section on the medical services entitled "She Ranks Me" is primarily about the Union medical organizations. I guess this should be expected though considering Burns' background. Another example is the narration "1862 introduced two great forces into the war: unspeakable slaughter and US Grant." What about Lee? He wasn't a great force? Overall it's a wonderful documentary.​

For those 0f you with Netflix streaming, the entire series is available 24x7. It is my 'go to' historical entertainment when nothing else is on.

I first watched this series when the BBC showed it in the mid 90's and it sparked an interest in a war that until then I knew next to nothing about but which has since has cost me thousands of Pounds/Dollars in books and trips to the States to visit battlefields and museums. I used to be a normal guy. I blame Ken Burns. He has a lot to answer for.

The series was very influential in educating people about the war and sparked considerable interesting into pursuing further study. It has to stand out as one of the most influential documentaries ever aired both as an example in technique for filmmakers in order to capture and hold a large audience over multiple airings as well as engaging the viewers.

Ed Bearss told me that Ken Burns and his brother filmed him in a motel room and used the filmed interview edited into the format he intended to use as a demonstration in order to raise money and support for he project. Ed said it was almost five years from the motel filming to initial airing.

When I first got "The Civil War" from my Uncle, I finished the nine some episodes in about a week. Even though the whole documentary was full of audio, pictures, and documentaries, I loved it. Out of 10 I'd give it a 10/10. What are your guys's thoughts?

I credit Burns with kindling my interest in Civil War history. Over a hundred books and countless hours on sites like this later I don't know whether to thank him or curse him.

Like many of you, it was an eye-opening moment. I'd never paid attention to THAT GUY before. He fascinated me, so I started learning about him. And then you need to learn about that battle and this regiment....and then I found my family connections, took my grad class...and the rest is a sad story of obsession and wasted money. Or was it wasted?

It would have to be considered the rebirth of interest in the Civil War. And for those folks who truly enjoyed Shelby Foote's stories and his down home Southern drawl - below is posted a link to a 3 hour interview with him on C-Span:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/event/110450

And Ken Burns - The Making of the Civil War Documenatry :

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/TheMak

Enjoy !!

For a long time it was my primary source when it came to the ACW. It was an eye opener and certainly awakend a deeper interest. I also think it is incredibly dynamic, especially considering how few "moving" pictures it actually has. A wonderful documentary that I always enjoy going back to.

I purchased DVD when it first came out and I cannot tell you how many times I watched all or a part of it. I suppose some could find some things to nit-pick, but overall it is nothing but great! Although it is not a Civil War tune, Jay Ungar's "Ashokan Farewell" is a very haunting tune and it I thought it perfect to portray both the seriousness and sadness of the war itself.

I guess I am finally going to have to watch this, I keep hearing good things about it.

Back