Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions;

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
-:- A Mime -:-
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions;

Please stay away from modern politics.

Inspired by the following exchange.
Just to point out, as I often do, that since "institutions" is plural, there must logically be other issues involved, because slavery is a singular "institution".
@Andersonh1 ,

And what would those other institutions be in your opinion?

Sincerely,
Unionblue
I do understand your point. But having seen the term used in countless docs, it does seem to me that when the term institution or institutions was used, it was a reference to the peculiar institution.

But I'm open to suggestion. What other institutions would they have been referring to, that were under threat by the Black Republicans who were called out in the article?

- Alan
Anything the states controlled prior to the 14th amendment and incorporation doctrine. States determined citizenship, who could vote, who could own property, etc. As Calhoun noted, if the General government could use the tariff and taxation to claim power for coercing a state, they could claim power over anything, including slavery, as indeed they ultimately did.
More Posts. Emphasis mine.
Yes. Southerners sometimes also referred to slaveholding as their "domestic institution." It sounds much more benign that way. For example, in South Carolina's "Declaration of the Immediate Causes:"

We affirm that these ends for which this Government [i.e., the United States] was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection.
Kenneth Stampp, who wrote the book The Peculiar Institution argued that the phrase was designed to allow southerners to avoid using the term "slavery" in discussing slavery. Calling it their "peculiar institution" was somehow more genteel, which suggests that most slaveholders probably didn't buy the argument that slavery was a positive good.

Among those particular institutions forbidden by the 14th was the suppressing of Abolition Free Speech and censorship of the mails by the Southern States.

What institutions not related to slavery fall in the category of "domestic institutions" In the declaration above, institutions seem to be directly related to slavery.
Please discuss.

Back