Stonewall Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Let's have some Jackson trivia. Can anyone expound upon or tell the story behind this Jackson quote?
"Thoughtless fellows for such serious work"
  • RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: Marc Wheat Database

wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=marcwheat&id=I19769
    Jan 3, 2012 ... "But there is no instance on record of recovery from such a wound," said one doctor. ... "Thoughtless fellows for serious work", he commented.

This is a bit hard :
I yield to no man in sympathy for the gallant men under my command; but I am obliged to sweat them tonight, so that I may save their blood tomorrow.
Happened in May, 1862. What city/town was he referring to, to put the men through such a torturous march.
Reason I remembered that quote was personal - right before I went to Nam - training camp had a sign "The more you sweat in peace - the less you bleed in war". Was told that was a quote from General Stonewall Jackson. I asked the sergeant was he in Vietnam (pre civil-war interest) - sergeant just walked away shaking his head, muttering "What a dumb a@@ I was" . Now that made me remember that quote

Reason I remembered that quote was personal - right before I went to Nam - training camp had a sign "The more you sweat in peace - the less you bleed in war". Was told that was a quote from General Stonewall Jackson. I asked the sergeant was he in Vietnam (pre civil-war interest) - sergeant just walked away shaking his head, muttering "What a dumb a@@ I was" . Now that made me remember that quote

Pete, Thank You for your service to our country. This is one guy that appreciates what you guys did.:thumbsup:

• RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: Marc Wheat Database

wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=marcwheat&id=I19769
    Jan 3, 2012 ... "But there is no instance on record of recovery from such a wound," said one doctor. ... "Thoughtless fellows for serious work", he commented.

Wheat's Tigers...The LSU Fighting Tigers got their name from this unit.

I think my favorite Stonewall Jackson painting would have to be "Defenders of the Valley", by John Paul Strain. You can feel the cold just looking at the picture.

g
Wheat's Tigers...The LSU Fighting Tigers got their name from this unit.

If I recall correctly, Wheat's men made some brutal work at the Battle of Port Republic. They got amongst the guns on "The Coaling" above Lewiston Farm and killed the horses with guns and bayonets to keep the US troops from saving their cannon.

As a side note, one of my coworkers built a house a few hundred yards south of the Lewiston Farm and allowed some ACW buffs to sweep with metal detectors during excavation work. They recovered many spent minnie balls and several grape-shot balls.

g

If I recall correctly, Wheat's men made some brutal work at the Battle of Port Republic. They got amongst the guns on "The Coaling" above Lewiston Farm and killed the horses with guns and bayonets to keep the US troops from saving their cannon.

As a side note, one of my coworkers built a house a few hundred yards south of the Lewiston Farm and allowed some ACW buffs to sweep with metal detectors during excavation work. They recovered many spent minnie balls and several grape-shot balls.

That is true. A good read on the subject is "Conquering The Valley" Stonewall Jackson at Port Republic by Robert Krick
It was alleged that the yankees carried out atrocities on the captives from the Louisiana Brigade by bayonetting the wounded and striking them in the head with the butts of their muskets while they were in temporary control of the field. A Captain on Taylor's Staff said afterwards: "Jackson's army will...take few prisoners in the future." But soon afterward the Louisianians gained their revenge in the Coaling.

Im going to have to get that book. I didn't know he ever drank, but I haven't read much on his early
That is so funny !! could actually picture him doing so. Read a book awhile back "Class of 1846" by John Waugh - Jackson is one of the main subjects in the book (of course) and it goes from West Point to the war. The author mentions that after graduation - Jackson & another classmate took a room in New York City before heading home. Another classmate who was also stopping over decided to pay them a visit - he opened the door, and was shocked to see Jackson & the other guy, in their drawers, wide eyed and drunk - singing the Benny Haven's song. That must have been a sight. I'm sure Old Blue Light never wanted to run across him again :wink:

Great book, I read it awhile ago someone says in the book (I forget who) Jackson told no one of his plans if his coat knew where he was going he would leave it behind, he was that secretive

The only thing I don't like about Jackson (and maybe this is apocryphal; I don't remember the source) is the way he refused to pick up his infant daughter, then only a few months old, until she stopped crying. He would stand over her crib as she cried, but not touch her until she was silent.

I hope that's not true, because that's some chilling s***.

I'd suggest you read the history of child rearing. Many "experts" over the years have advised letting babies cry. Some people still advise ignoring the crying so the baby will learn to be self soothing, or whatever.

I call it a crock of s***. My children and grandchildren were always held and soothed, to me an infants cry is a distress call. They don't cry for the fun of it.

I'd suggest you read the history of child rearing. Many "experts" over the years have advised letting babies cry. Some people still advise ignoring the crying so the baby will learn to be self soothing, or whatever.

I call it a crock of s***. My children and grandchildren were always held and soothed, to me an infants cry is a distress call. They don't cry for the fun of it.
I realize folks were hardcore in the good old days and all, but honestly, do they really need to be self-sufficient at 3 months?

Intriguing question. There were a lot of men in the Civil War who did well at levels like division or corps but faltered when kicked up to the top command - Joe Hooker and John Bell Hood are common examples. I wonder if Jackson might have been another? Commanding an army is as much about managing subordinates and forging an effective team as it is about one's own tactical skills. Jackson had a number of run-ins with subordinates like A.P. Hill, and I think both he and the Confederate cause benefitted from having the steadying hand of Lee on his shoulder.

Remember that Hill was transferred to Jackson because he couldn't get along with Longstreet. A. P. Hill probably performed better while under Jackson than any other, including Lee.

Jackson more or less passed his test at independent command while over the Valley district army.

I strongly agree that Jackson passed the test of independent command. However, I can see the point made previously that he may have struggled with army group command. I think of "Ike" in WWII who had to deal with Patton and Montgomery, both great tactical commanders but each having strong personalities, as being akin to Lee with Jackson, et al.

Jackson, Like N B Forrest, did well independently. I'm not sure, but do like to wonder, if the personalities of both would have been able to bond enough to perform great work together. I think each was a brilliant tactical thinker and each had great on scene command skills.

Jackson was forever arresting and charging someone if they did not follow his instructions to the "tee." Forrest had no problem speaking his mind. It may have been a clash of epic proportions, but if personalities could have been put aside for the good of the CSA, I believe they could/would have been a "dream team."

I strongly agree that Jackson passed the test of independent command. However, I can see the point made previously that he may have struggled with army group command. I think of "Ike" in WWII who had to deal with Patton and Montgomery, both great tactical commanders but each having strong personalities, as being akin to Lee with Jackson, et al.

Jackson, Like N B Forrest, did well independently. I'm not sure, but do like to wonder, if the personalities of both would have been able to bond enough to perform great work together. I think each was a brilliant tactical thinker and each had great on scene command skills.

Jackson was forever arresting and charging someone if they did not follow his instructions to the "tee." Forrest had no problem speaking his mind. It may have been a clash of epic proportions, but if personalities could have been put aside for the good of the CSA, I believe they could/would have been a "dream team."
He also courtmarshalled Richard Garnet

Jackson may have been a soft touch with his wife and kids, but was pretty argumentative with everyone else. He even tried to get his commander courts-martialed in Florida when he served there, and ended up resigning when insuboridation charges were brought against him, taking the position at VMI instead. He got into arguments with Loring, Early, Hill, and quite a few others, bringing charges against many of them (Lee found ways to delay any courts-martials as being inconvenient for the service at the time). I've always wondered what would have happened if Jackson and Bragg had served together in the Western Theatre - it would surely have led to firworks!

Herman Melville wrote this poem shortly after the war; it appears in his collection "Battle-pieces."

Stonewall Jackson

Mortally wounded at Chancellorsville
(May, 1863)

The Man who fiercest charged in fight,
Whose sword and prayer were long--
Stonewall!​
Even him who stoutly stood for Wrong.
How can we praise? Yet coming days
Shall not forget him with this song.

Dead is the Man whose Cause is dead,
Vainly he died and set his seal--
Stonewall!​
Earnest in error, as we feel;
True to the thing he deemed was due,
True as John Brown or steel.

Relentlessly he routed us;
But we relent, for he is low--
Stonewall!​
Justly his fame we outlaw; so
We drop a tear on the bold Virginian's bier,
Because no wreath we owe.

Herman Melville wrote this poem shortly after the war; it appears in his collection "Battle-pieces."

Stonewall Jackson

Mortally wounded at Chancellorsville
(May, 1863)

The Man who fiercest charged in fight,
Whose sword and prayer were long--
Stonewall!​
Even him who stoutly stood for Wrong.
How can we praise? Yet coming days
Shall not forget him with this song.

Dead is the Man whose Cause is dead,
Vainly he died and set his seal--
Stonewall!​
Earnest in error, as we feel;
True to the thing he deemed was due,
True as John Brown or steel.

Relentlessly he routed us;
But we relent, for he is low--
Stonewall!​
Justly his fame we outlaw; so
We drop a tear on the bold Virginian's bier,
Because no wreath we owe.

Very impressive that his opponents gave him this recognition.

Back