Thomas Parker (1822 - 1872); 2nd Rhode Island Volunteer Infantry

Thomas is the biological father to my great-great-great-grandmother, Mary Jane Parker, research about him has been tough but I have found that he served in the 2nd Rhode Island Infantry, and passed away in Philadelphia. Any help or fun facts would be appreciated.

Austin

Unless there is a second Thomas Parker with the same dates that I haven't found, your gr-gr-gr-gr-grandfather is a Medal of Honor recipient. He enlisted in the 2nd RI as a private, was promoted to corporal. At Petersburg, April 2, 1865, he "planted the first color on the enemy works.. (and) carried the regimental colors over the creek after the regiment had broken and been repulsed."

Is their anything I can do to repay you, you just made my day. Message me if you need anything, I may ask stupid questions on here, but any family tree walls or unanswered family researching events that need answers, just let me know, I’m free most of every day. I get to work at home everyday 🙂

If it is him, it is odd that his pension index card does not note that he was an MOH recipient. It typically would. He was living in Vermont in 1868 and his widow, Elizabeth, was living in Pennsylvania in 1881. Does that sound like your guy? He also served in Co. G, 24th U.S. Infantry (regular army) and Co. G, 2nd Battalion, 15th U.S. Infantry (regular army).

32959_033027-01689.jpg

Thomas Parker being a pretty common name makes finding things harder. But I'm pretty certain this is our guy.

Thomas Parker enlisted in the 2nd Rhode Island Volunteers June 5, 1861, aged 39. He was wounded 15 September 1862. I didn't find when this service ended. He reenlisted in the 2nd RI in December of 1863. September 1, 1864 he was promoted to corporal. That month on the 19th he was wounded again. He was discharged July 13, 1865. Then in January 1866 he enlisted in the 15th US Infantry, company G. That September it was reorganized and his company was transferred to the 24th US Infantry. He was discharged February 5, 1868.

He entered the US National Home for Disabled soldiers in Togus, Maine February 12, 1869. His place of residence is listed as Rutland, VT. They state his disability as "fracture right leg caused by a kick from a horse and general debility." His stay there lasted until May of 1870.

I haven't been able to turn him up in US Census records - dates for his wife's and daughter's births would help.

Back