Thomas John - Pennsylvania

Kyle Kalasnik

First Sergeant
Attached are two cards of persons named Thomas John.

I was wondering if this could be the same person, due to West Chester, PA

Some of the abbreviations are difficult for me to understand. And some are not filled out, why would this be ?

Would there be a way to figure out if his (their) middle name was Howie?

Is there a way to figure out if his wife was Amelia (Woodside) John?

Thank you all in advance for your consideration in this matter.

Respectfully ,
Kyle Kalasnik

E591B0BC-41DE-4C44-9D15-E10E6E345F46.jpeg

The residence and age is a coincidence but the thing that troubles me about saying they are the same person is the second enlistment is as a PVT and the first is as a SGT. Typically they would take NCOs in their second enlistment and at the very least keep them the same rank. However, the 2nd unit was an emergency unit for Lee's invasion and this could explain why they just had him as a Private. The best way to find if they are the same person is the Pension records. Usually the veteran (or widow) listed all units they served with on their Pension application to help ensure approval of the Pension, if he passed before his wife, search for a widow's pension.

The residence and age is a coincidence but the thing that troubles me about saying they are the same person is the second enlistment is as a PVT and the first is as a SGT. Typically they would take NCOs in their second enlistment and at the very least keep them the same rank. However, the 2nd unit was an emergency unit for Lee's invasion and this could explain why they just had him as a Private. The best way to find if they are the same person is the Pension records. Usually the veteran (or widow) listed all units they served with on their Pension application to help ensure approval of the Pension, if he passed before his wife, search for a widow's pension.
Appreciate it very much.

Looks to me that the Thomas John in Company H, 97th Pennsylvania died in 1876 and had a wife named Anna and mother named Sidney/Cydney.

Find a Grave Page
View attachment 325845
View attachment 325846
Thank you, I appreciate it.Thomas John in 97th PA would not be my 3rd Great Grandfather. I’ll see if I can dig up any info on the one in that served in the 29th. Maybe that’s the one, and maybe they are the same person.

Agree with the advice given here. If you already have info on spousal names, the pensions (if one was filed) can help you figure out if it's the right soldier.

I have also found a Thomas John that served in the 54th PA Co E...There are quite a few John H Thomas which although unlikely, could have happened if for what ever reason he wanted to join under an alias (Pension records would show this, always follow the money)

I've seen a lot of mistakes in the grave registrations and other transcribed records such as the ones that you posted. Sometimes two different soldiers have their information intertwined with each other, making it hard to know what's accurate and what's not.

I've seen a lot of mistakes in the grave registrations and other transcribed records such as the ones that you posted. Sometimes two different soldiers have their information intertwined with each other, making it hard to know what's accurate and what's not.
Good point, it is fairly common even now a days that service records and pay gets screwed up.

We're so lucky to have those card files. They can be confusing though. Grgrgrandfather was in a 90 day, enlisted after that in the 50th, was in a VRC regiment after being wounded and got back to the 50th. We already knew most of that or it would have been awfully confusing digging around in the files.

Is there an historical society in Potter? Funny, as in unexpected stuff shows up in some of those, you can never tell what you might find.

We're so lucky to have those card files. They can be confusing though. Grgrgrandfather was in a 90 day, enlisted after that in the 50th, was in a VRC regiment after being wounded and got back to the 50th. We already knew most of that or it would have been awfully confusing digging around in the files.

Is there an historical society in Potter? Funny, as in unexpected stuff shows up in some of those, you can never tell what you might find.
Yes, there is a historical society, however my family line that I have been researching did not move into the area until 1998.

Back