Thistledome - Chalmers' home

DixieRifles

Major
Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Thistledome was built in 1840 by Joseph Chalmers, who settled in the area from South Carolina. Thistledome is a rare Greek Revival, and sits on a prominent hill on the south side of the town of Byhalia. It is a two-story frame building with a front gable porch supported by great Corinthian fluted columns which sit on brick piers. A first story porch is supported by double Doric columns and a spindle balustrade. The main entrance has an elliptical transom and painted pane sidelights. It is one of the few remaining antebellum homes in Byhalia, Mississippi.

Thistledome_955.jpg

Joseph's son was Confederate Brigadier-General James Ronald Chalmers. General Chalmers lead an infantry brigade at the Battle of Shiloh. After the fall of Vicksburg, General Chalmers raised a division of cavalry that operated in late 1863 and 1864 in North Mississippi. Later, General Chalmers lead a cavalry division as part of General Nathan Forrest's Cavalry Corps.

E.B. Horn purchased the home from the Chalmers family in 1906 and extensively renovated the house. The McAuleys bought the house in 1938. The house received its name from Mrs. McAuley, who stated “This will do me”
@ when she first saw her new home. Todd and Jill Maxwell bought the house in 2012, and have opened a restaurant in the home and offer wedding and special event services.

@
Get it? "This will do me" became "Thistledome".

I am trying to get a tour of the home to find out more about its history. General Chalmers did not live at this home before or during the War. I'm almost sure that he lived there after the War but I don't know when or how long. During his Tennessee Cavalry raid of 1863, General Chalmers attacked the Union fort at Collierville, Tenn, on 11 October. After Union reinforcements arrived, he retreated and pulled back to the Coldwater River and most likely at Quinn's Mill where they camped for the night. Chalmers had been injured in the battle by a spent round. He turned his command over to R. V. Richardson and took leave to go home---I'm sure this is the house he visited. Byhalia is within a few miles of the Coldwater crossing so he didn't have far to go. The next morning, 12 October, the Union cavalry began a pursuit of Richardson and the Confederate cavalrymen. I wish I could find out details of where General Chalmers hid out from the roaming Union troops.
I'm working my connections to arrange a tour of the home. Maybe they will let me post photos on this "historical site". I know they have a pistol and some old photos on display there. This may take some time but if I get anything, I will post back here.

thistledome02b1.jpg

Link to their Website.
Thistledome - Byhalia, MS

James Chalmers as a General.
General James R Chalmers.JPG

James R. Chalmers after serving 2 terms in State Senate and in the US Congress in the 54th, 56th, & 57th sessions and the 58th, after a challenge. He practiced law in Mississippi but spent his last few years in Memphis.
James R Chalmers - civilian.JPG

Back