"This Republic of Suffering" Reviewed

formerYank

Private
Some months ago I had the misfortune of hearing Drew Gilpin Faust make Civil War death boring on Terry Gross' NPR show. I was both horrified and amazed at Ms. Faust's assertions and characterizations, most of which I deeply disagreed with. But I rallied, and went ahead and got her book. "This Republic of Suffering" has received almost universal applause, quite unmerited imho. I invite the board to peruse my review and lend their opinions to the matter.

[FONT=&quot]"Like the Civil War itself, there was certainly an air of inevitability about "This Republic of Suffering" by Drew Gilpin Faust. The almost universally shocking devastation and death wrought by the Civil War fundamentally changed the character of American society and how Americans (and former Rebels) understood their relationship with government and with one another. Mrs. Faust has undertaken this ambitious project of documenting "death" in the Civil War. Interested readers and students of the War can applaud the attempt while mourning her myriad failures."

please read the rest of the review here: http://booksfilmandmusic.com/2008/0...w-gilpin-faust-reviewed-must-history-hurt-so/

-FY
[/FONT]

Back