This is why you should never rig and arm your sailing warship before launching her ...

Any idea what language that narrator was speaking in? I realize it was a latin or spanish country but it sounded "strange". And that incident probably happened a few times in Naval history until they figured out how or why ballast was used.

Any idea what language that narrator was speaking in? I realize it was a latin or spanish country but it sounded "strange". And that incident probably happened a few times in Naval history until they figured out how or why ballast was used.
Portuguese ?

Last edited:
This happened even in the good ole days. I think the sinking of the 17th century Swedish Vasa might be the best example. Were there others?

Can happen even with modern vessels if the balance of weight calculations are wrong, or if the constructors don't check. Incidentally no vessel rides 100% upright, they are always a fraction out one way or the other.

Or in drydock - Indian frigate Betwa a few years ago:

ins-betwa-side_650x400_61480938667.jpg

Can happen even with modern vessels if the balance of weight calculations are wrong, or if the constructors don't check. Incidentally no vessel rides 100% upright, they are always a fraction out one way or the other.
Apparently the two new RN carriers lean slightly in opposite directions in their natural point of balance !

Isnt weight distribution one of the theories about the Sultana disaster? Supposedly most of the men on the top deck ran to one side to either get away from the flames or to rubberneck and get a better view making the ship extremely top heavy.

Apparently the two new RN carriers lean slightly in opposite directions in their natural point of balance !

One of my ships in the USN was the Saipan (LHA-2). The LHAs were one of the first types constructed in sections and welded together in the construction dock. There was one point where a passageway took about an 8" step down for no apparent reason. The rumor was two sections hadn't quite matched..... Further rumor, that on our sister ship Nassau (LHA-4) the step at the same point was up!

The island structure had been built as a unit and lifted on by crane. Another rumor was that it was designed to break off if the ship heeled far enough to be in danger of capsizing - small comfort to those of us who worked or stood watch in the island.

This attempted launch of a reproduction Portuguese carrack shown in the opening post of this thread took place near Lisbon in 1940, as part of the ceremonies surrounding the Portuguese World Exposition.
Most of Europe was at war, and the exposition invited exhibitors only from Portuguese colonies and Brazil. Portugal maintained neutrality throughout the second World War, of course, though the country - and Lisbon in particular - was a hotbed of international political intrigue. Brazil entered the war on the Allied side in 1942, and sent land and air forces to fight in the Italian campaign, and had several ships sunk by U-Boats in the Atlantic.

I must confess that I knew nothing about the 1940 Expo until I did some Googling after reading the opening post.

Back