This Is The True Way The South Thought 1855-64

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

jkeith21

Cadet
ole said:
Oops. You said "fact." That would ordinarily require a source or several concrete examples. You seem to be denying that states remaining in the Union acted as a union not because they felt themselves part of a union, but because they had no choice.

The northerners didn't suffer anywhere near the destruction suffered in the south, but there were deprivations. These were borne, if not cheerfully, in the spirit of a common cause. One cause. Union.

Ole
OK, then let's try this:
"In response to your posit that Confederate states acted individually at times in a manner not to the benefit of the collective good of the Confederacy and that Union states did act in a manner that was to the benefit of the Union, allow me to offer one possible reason for consideration as to why they did so..."

"Fact" as used was "the fact that I, too, am unaware of any incidents where Union states did not comply with National demands or requests".

"Fact" was not used as a descriptor related to the possible reason for consideration I offered, nor was the reason espoused as the only reason.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

Let me also add that I am relatively certain in my opinion that NOT ALL concessions to the national Union by the states and all deprivations borne, cheerfully or not, by the people of Union's states were motivated by the benevolence of the people in the spirit of the common cause. Arms were twisted, reprecussions were threatened... possibly couched in terms of "for the common good" but not necessarily motivated by the spirit of same.

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
Don't forget the old phrase "follow the money". Much of the civil war was mired in that unfortunate inspiration.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!