NF This is how I would make a low budget independent Civil War movie.

Non-Fiction

privateflemming

Corporal
I'm definitely not planning to do this anytime soon but I recently watched two videos by a reenactor Youtuber I follow about the low-budget 1964 made-for-TV movie Culloden about the 1746 battle that was filmed in a handheld mockumentary style complete with candid fake interviews with soldiers.

I really agree with what he says that although the movie has some technical errors with uniforms and whatnot it does the best job of capturing the real, chaotic feel of 18th century combat out of any other movie. I think there are already some pretty great Civil War movies that do a good job of portraying realistic combat, but this style still seems like it could be a really immersive way to make a Civil War movie on a low budget. Good cinematography is very expensive and difficult but this would make that much easier and cheaper. It also helps obscure small sets and limited numbers of actors. The candid fake interviews with young soldiers who look the part I think also really adds a lot of relatability to it in a simple way that is hard to evoke in a lot of low budget movies.

Imagine if there was a Civil War movie that just followed one or a few opposing regiments at Gettysburg or the Wilderness and did interviews with the men with mockumentary narration? I'm putting together an authentic Union reenacting impression and I plan on attending my first Liberty Rifles event in June 2020 and getting more involved with the reenacting community. Maybe I will try this someday. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Back