First Bull Run Thirst

Drew

Major
“No one knows what they can do until they are forced to go to war. After the battles there were cries for water from both sides from the wounded and tired soldiers. After the Battle of Bull Run No. 1, I, with others, went in search of water a mile or two up and down the creek, but there were so many dead men and horses in the water that it looked like we would perish. After we found that we could only find blood and water mixed, we shut our eyes and filled our canteens and drank. I crawled along on my knees or rather snaked along one night a hundred yards with my canteen of water to a Union soldier who was dying on the battlefield begging, for God’s sake bring him a drink; when if his own men had seen me they would have killed me. They were afraid to go to him themselves.”
Pvt. Anthony A. Bryant, Company A, Ninth Alabama Infantry
Reminiscences of the Boys in Gray, Mamie Yeary, 1912, pp. 95-96

Thanks for posting. This illustrates the awful conditions and the enduring humanity of our common ancestors. My 3ggrandfather perished at 1st Manassas (4th Virginia) and although we don't know any details of the circumstances, would like to think that if he lingered someone assisted him with a few sips to ease his time.

I read of one engagement when the thirst of the Federal soldiers was so great they drank water the animals would not. Was it outside Nashville?

I wonder how many soldiers on both sides died of heatstroke due to dehydration and overexertion on long hot marches. A number of the campaign/battle narratives I've read mentioned such deaths.

The beer in the canteen incident was usually dredged up to convince me that yes he was once once young and did something wild and crazy, and paid the consequences. As I was surely about to suffer for whatever stupid thing I had done this time.
That's Dad on the left, all 125 lbs of him, in Germany in the summer of 1945. At 20 yrs old, already a seasoned, decorated combat soldier.
GI Jerry4.jpeg

Back