Things to see in Virginia or North Carolina?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Next month I plan on driving down the east coast from New Jersey to Florida. I could probably add a day to the drive. One day drive from New jersey would put me near the Virginia/North Carolina border. It seems like all the good historical sites are in northern of central Virginia. Are there things in that area I could spend a day seeing? It needs not be Civil War.

@major bill if you want Civil War sites go to Civil War Trails. Just google it

A41FDADE-88B8-4E68-81C0-12597B31F8B3.jpeg

Fort Monroe is just outside of Norfolk. I haven't been, but they say the Mariner's Museum is worth a visit.
Bruce is correct. The Mariners Museum, Fort Monroe (I posted three threads about it recently), and a harbor tour to see the naval shipyard....there's a ton of great things to see in the Norfolk, Newport News area. Most people dont know about the Battle of Dam No 1 but the battlefield is a Newport News city park - as are Magruder's headquarters (Lee hall) and McLaws headquarters (Endview plantation.) In Suffolk theres the Riddick's Folly house. Ive written about all these places before on CWT. Additionally, like @luinrina said, the Great Dismal swamp is near Suffolk. We didnt go to them, but I believe there's also a RR museum and something to do with Mr Peanut?, also in Suffolk.

Back