Restricted They started to move the remains of General Forrest today.

JonnyReb_In_MI

Corporal
I do wonder why it will take weeks to remove the remains.
I don't think I really want to know the answer......
The remains of Gen. & Mrs. Forrest are said to be located 8-10 feet below the ground. Above that you have the concrete platform plus the pedestal that the statue used to be on.

First the pedestal has to be removed carefully, piece by piece, since the plan is to re-erect the statue over the new gravesite.

Then one would imagine that they'll have to bust up a significant amount of the concrete platform around the graves before they actually start moving dirt.

Once the dirt digging starts, it's kinda like an archeological dig. Not knowing EXACTLY how far down the caskets are, they'll have to take extreme care as they want to make sure they don't damage anything when they do get down to the metal caskets (don't know if they're in vaults or not...).

Quaama

Sergeant
A sad story to add to many others, hopefully it ends well.

It also seems to be a shocking indictment of public figures in how these things progress.
  • The council votes to rename things and remove Forrest and the adornments to his grave-site [the matter is not put before the public in a vote].
  • The council seeks legal support for their actions (a waiver from the Tennessee Heritage Protection Act) but fails.
  • Following the denial of a waiver they circumvent that law by passing new legislation to sell the very land where Forrest rests to a private company, Greenspace.
  • Memphis Greenspace has four directors, all with legal training and one who is a Shelby County Commissioner (they freely participate in this matter).
  • Memphis Greenspace removes Forrest's statue and other historical items as the Tennessee Heritage Protection Act is now powerless in the matter as it can do nothing against private companies acting like that on land that they [now] own which had been owned by the people.
  • The Sons of Confederate Veterans acts to protect the remains of Forrest and the monuments but can only do so by removing them to private land that, which they will endeavour to make accessible to the public, will be removed from a more prominent public position in order to ensure they are protected.

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
A sad story to add to many others, hopefully it ends well.

It also seems to be a shocking indictment of public figures in how these things progress.
  • The council votes to rename things and remove Forrest and the adornments to his grave-site [the matter is not put before the public in a vote].
  • The council seeks legal support for their actions (a waiver from the Tennessee Heritage Protection Act) but fails.
  • Following the denial of a waiver they circumvent that law by passing new legislation to sell the very land where Forrest rests to a private company, Greenspace.
  • Memphis Greenspace has four directors, all with legal training and one who is a Shelby County Commissioner (they freely participate in this matter).
  • Memphis Greenspace removes Forrest's statue and other historical items as the Tennessee Heritage Protection Act is now powerless in the matter as it can do nothing against private companies acting like that on land that they [now] own which had been owned by the people.
  • The Sons of Confederate Veterans acts to protect the remains of Forrest and the monuments but can only do so by removing them to private land that, which they will endeavour to make accessible to the public, will be removed from a more prominent public position in order to ensure they are protected.
Lessons from [CURRENT YEAR] America, Democracy and public input doesn't matter if the mob doesn't like it.

Violating Tennessee's state law on gravesites and family input was also kicked to the curb here too.

Horrido67

Private
Sure, he was a slave trader in the antebellum South and may have been involved in KKK in the postbellum South. However, he was one of the best cavalry commanders that USA has ever produced and at least he tried to redeem himself at the end by preaching racial harmony at the event organized by a multi-racial grouop and voicing his disapproval of mob lynching of freed blacks.

And he lived & died in Memphis, TN. The city where he should be burried and rest in peace. If this is what the locals want then I guess it should happen, but I can't say I am satisfied with the outcome. Hopefully, his new gravesite is secure enough against any kind of disrespectful vandalism.

Tom Hughes

First Sergeant
Sure, he was a slave trader in the antebellum South and may have been involved in KKK in the postbellum South. However, he was one of the best cavalry commanders that USA has ever produced and at least he tried to redeem himself at the end by preaching racial harmony at the event organized by a multi-racial grouop and voicing his disapproval of mob lynching of freed blacks.

And he lived & died in Memphis, TN. The city where he should be burried and rest in peace. If this is what the locals want then I guess it should happen, but I can't say I am satisfied with the outcome. Hopefully, his new gravesite is secure enough against any kind of disrespectful vandalism.
Maybe cameras can be positioned around his new monument. In case anyone does try to vandalize it maybe the chances are they will be caught.

DixieRifles

Captain
Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
The City Council also voted to sale the property at some ridiculous low price to Greenspace without following city guidelines that require getting bids on the property. Once the City sold it, they washed their hands of the problem and the new owner had the right to remove the statue. I think all of this took place over 24 hours----or maybe more like 6 hours.

Quaama

Sergeant
The City Council also voted to sale the property at some ridiculous low price to Greenspace without following city guidelines that require getting bids on the property. Once the City sold it, they washed their hands of the problem and the new owner had the right to remove the statue. I think all of this took place over 24 hours----or maybe more like 6 hours.

Wow! I didn't realise it was done in such a short period of time. Despicable, and as I said earlier, clearly done to circumvent the law (especially the Tennessee Heritage Protection Act).

danny

Sergeant

There has been a fruit basket turnover in the composition of "locals."

I want someone to give me some insight as to just what are the scv's intentions for General Forrest n his wife.rumors are abundant,now that he has been dug up once again n the plan as told is to move him down around elm hill.ive heard they are gonna charge money to visit an if this is do it's just ethically wrong.the dead should rest in peace not made a public display for money.ive heard 500. Down to 50.someone please shed some light on this.