These arent photos per se, yet they arent sketches

General Butler

First Sergeant
A few more gifts to share. These period soldiers must come from smaller photos and are somehow enlarged and filled in with pencil? Both are in their original frames. Large too!
20200314_152922.jpg
20200314_152951.jpg

A few more gifts to share. These period soldiers must come from smaller photos and are somehow enlarged and filled in with pencil? Both are in their original frames. Large too!View attachment 351174View attachment 351175
Your two images are enlargements of actual photographs be they a tintype, cdv or cabinet card; most likely the enlargements were done in the 1880's or 1890's. After enlargement, an artist used charcoal or colored crayons to embellish the photo, paying special attention to facial features. The artist did not add any features not in the original photo. He merely enhanced the details found in the photo. These enlargements as a finished product had a standard inch size of 11 x 14, 16 x 20, and 20 x 24, I believe. Enlargement of photos which began in the 1880's was all the rage in America at the time. Many people today are confused and think these images are sketches or drawings, but they are not. As I said they are actual enlargements of actual photos that then are colored in by a skilled artist.

Your two images are enlargements of actual photographs be they a tintype, cdv or cabinet card; most likely the enlargements were done in the 1880's or 1890's. After enlargement, an artist used charcoal or colored crayons to embellish the photo, paying special attention to facial features. The artist did not add any features not in the original photo. He merely enhanced the details found in the photo. These enlargements as a finished product had a standard inch size of 11 x 14, 16 x 20, and 20 x 24, I believe. Enlargement of photos which began in the 1880's was all the rage in America at the time. Many people today are confused and think these images are sketches or drawings, but they are not. As I said they are actual enlargements of actual photos that then are colored in by a skilled artist.
Great news...thanks...Yankee

So as I continue to open little packages these just popped out...dont know the officer but he is very clear and in a half case. The other is an ID'd artillery soldier..RS Parker. I think he spent most of his time in Georgia until the letter part of the war when he got shipped to Lee and I suspect that is where he got his jacket. The thin metal frame holding the tintype is impressed on all sides, but all I can read is RS Parker and I THINK a canon number...gotta figure out how to read the rest. Like em?

Confederate Lt.jpg

RS Parker tintype.jpg

RS Parker cover.jpg

Back