"These are my Jewels" Monument in Columbus, Ohio.

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
"These are my Jewels" monument is located on the Ohio Statehouse grounds in Columbus, Ohio. This sculpture (monument) is an impressive piece of the many monuments and memorials on Capital Square. The main figure on the top of the monument is Cornelia Africana, a Roman historical figure who was seen as a virtuous Roman woman.

IMG_20170616_122705297_HDR.jpg

The title of the monument is based on one of her famous quips. As the story goes, Cornelia was visited by her friends who went to elaborate measures to gloat about their expensive jewels and other adornments. When it was her turn to show off, they asked her where she kept her valuables. She left the room and returned with her sons, saying simply “these are my jewels”.

The sculpture was conceived by General Roeliff Brinkerhoff who claimed that Ohio’s greatest contributions to the nation were her people. Architect and artist Levi Tucker Scofield (Cincinnati, Ohio) was commissioned to develop a monument based on the theme. His design includes life size figures at various heights above the ground with Cornelia towering over them all. At Cornelia’s feet are some of Ohio’s greatest sons of the 19th century; including:

1. Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President of the United States
  2. Philip Henry Sheridan a Union general in the American Civil War;
  3. Edwin McMasters Stanton, Secretary of War through most of the Civil War
  4. James A. Garfield, the 20th President of the United States
  5. Rutherford B. Hayes, the 19th President of the United States
  6. Salmon P. Chase, Governor of Ohio, U.S. Treasury Secretary under President Abraham Lincoln, and Chief Justice of the United States
  7. William Tecumseh Sherman, General in the Union Army during the American Civil War
The sculpture initially debuted in Chicago at the Ohio Pavilion of the World Columbian Exposition in 1893. It was then moved to the statehouse following the exposition. The original only had six figures at the base, but then Governor William McKinley (and future president) added Rutherford B. Hayes to make seven. Thus, when the monument is viewed from any angle, at least one of Ohio’s 19th Century presidents are visible.

IMG_20170616_145806.jpg

Last edited:
My photo of Salmon Chase was bleached by the afternoon sun. So I decided not to post it in this thread.

Bill

I'm currently researching the history of the guns. I,m for the most part done with the research and am working on organizing the data for a book. They are part of a purchase of 4 batteries of artillery for the newly formed Ohio National Guard in 1864. The statehouse has one gun from each of the batteries that were purchased. While none saw any actual combat, they were used in the defense of Ohio by the National Guard.

Very nice, Bill. Thanks! Dang, I do wish that cannon barrel hadn't been polished.
now they are being polished less frequently with a polish that is easier on the metal. The trunions and muzzle are carefully handled to preserve the markings. Previously, they had been aggressively polished. From the time I first saw the guns in the late 1990s to now, the markings are noticeably fainter. I have seen other guns the order that had very deep and sharp markings.

When it was her turn to show off, they asked her where she kept her valuables. She left the room and returned with her sons, saying simply “these are my jewels”.
I love this quote, and this part of your post @Buckeye Bill . This is my sentiment about my own children, exactly :smile:

Having said that, I also love the concept of this monument. Ohio, it seems, has much to be proud of...

Grant has been captured in a very natural pose. I particularly like that, and think Grant would, too :smile:

This monument is located at the northeastern side of the Ohio Statehouse (Capital Building). Before I captured my photos, I looked at all of the people sitting around this monument eating lunch. I wondered if any of these individuals actually pondered the meaning behind this monument or quite frankly, the reasons for an American Civil War. Then I was suddenly slapped into reality and I could place a bet that most of these individuals could not give three flipped cheeseburgers about this piece of art. I might be wrong..... This is probably a microcosm of the rest of our country.

My wife told me, "You think very deeply about life, especially our country's history."

Bill

Last edited:
"These are my Jewels" monument is located on the Ohio Statehouse grounds in Columbus, Ohio. This sculpture (monument) is an impressive piece of the many monuments and memorials on Capital Square. The main figure on the top of the monument is Cornelia Africana, a Roman historical figure who was seen as a virtuous Roman woman.

View attachment 143167

The title of the monument is based on one of her famous quips. As the story goes, Cornelia was visited by her friends who went to elaborate measures to gloat about their expensive jewels and other adornments. When it was her turn to show off, they asked her where she kept her valuables. She left the room and returned with her sons, saying simply “these are my jewels”.

The sculpture was conceived by General Roeliff Brinkerhoff who claimed that Ohio’s greatest contributions to the nation were her people. Architect and artist Levi Tucker Scofield (Cincinnati, Ohio) was commissioned to develop a monument based on the theme. His design includes life size figures at various heights above the ground with Cornelia towering over them all. At Cornelia’s feet are some of Ohio’s greatest sons of the 19th century; including:

6. Salmon P. Chase, Governor of Ohio, U.S. Treasury Secretary under President Abraham Lincoln, and Chief Justice of the United States
  7. William Tecumseh Sherman, General in the Union Army during the American Civil War
The sculpture initially debuted in Chicago at the Ohio Pavilion of the World Columbian Exposition in 1893. It was then moved to the statehouse following the exposition. The original only had six figures at the base, but then Governor William McKinley (and future president) added Rutherford B. Hayes to make seven. Thus, when the monument is viewed from any angle, at least one of Ohio’s 19th Century presidents are visible.

View attachment 143168
Very nice. In Cleveland there is a Soldiers and Sailors monument in the down town. It is really neat. If you have not visited, you should.

View attachment 143167

View attachment 143168
The prominent role of the sons of Ohio has struck me deeply ever since I started studying the Civil War. I am jubilant to see a monument to these great and indispensable Ohioans as a group (even if Sheridan was a jerk). I have often said that Ohio saved the Union. If you doubt that, try doing a thought exercise: Can you see a path to victory without Grant, Sherman, Sheridan, Chase and Stanton?

And let's not forget "the little woman who started this great war" from her writing desk in Cincinnati. And let's also not forget the Ohio congressman who authored the 13th Amendment that ended slavery!

View attachment 143167

View attachment 143168
"These are my jewels" immediately reminds me of the words of St. Lawrence. Wonder if the sculptor had heard that story.

Back