Discussion "There's a lot of **** good fight in me yet." Henry Mack, USCT

damYankee

1st Lieutenant
I came across this store and thought other may enjoy it as much as I did,. I think Mr Mack would have made an interesting interview.

Former slave, Civil War vet lived final decades in Minneapolis​

Grave No. 384 in Section A-3 commemorates one of the more remarkable lives among the 240,000 military people and family members buried at Fort Snelling National Cemetery.
Henry Mack, an escaped slave and Civil War soldier who lived to 107, was buried there in 1945 near the fence running along 34th Avenue in south Minneapolis, known as an area where early Black veterans were laid to rest.
Mack was born into Alabama slavery sometime between 1836 and 1838, according to pension records, Civil War logs and affidavits. Newspapers later settled on 1837 as his birth year.
"I only know my birthday being July 4th as having been told to me by my parents and master," Mack said in 1912. He concluded: "I am 75 years old and past."
When he reached 100 in 1937, the Minneapolis Spokesman described Mack as "still well and hearty, with eyes that need no glasses; with hearing unimpaired and an amazing appetite that refuses no good things to eat. ... It would indeed be quite possible that many years are yet his to live." He spoke in what the reporter called "a soft and pleasant drawl, reminiscent of the south from which he came and still loves."

https://www.startribune.com/former-slave-civil-war-vet-lived-final-decades-in-minneapolis/600016992/