Theology thread?

Should there be a Biblical theology thread?

• Yes

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

carson_reb

Sergeant Major
If I were to author a thread on Biblical theology, would this be of interest, or would I be barking up the wrong tree? Too controversial and contentious perhaps? I'd appreciate feedback.

Basically, I'd leave the thread open for Biblical questions, analyses, thoughts, and observations. I don't want there to be discussions about dogmatic or denominational differences in interpretations of Scripture. I don't add to the Word, and I wouldn't want this thread to be used to add to it, either. And the last thing I would want is for this thread to become a "them" versus "us" topic.

So, with that said, would pursuit of such a thread be a fool's errand and invite inevitable problems?

I'd like to know.

Do you mean more like a forum? All things religious, that sort of an idea? I can see how it could get rowdy but we do have good moderation here. Over at my old haunt, THC's boards, they had a religion forum. It got pretty bad! But they didn't have moderators - I mean at all - so trolls and spooks and stuff-disturbers rooted in and had a permanent home. It was the only place on the whole internet that would let them roost! But, as I say, we have good moderation.

As Moderator:

A theology thread must be centered on the theology at the time of the American Civil War or be closed and deleted.
See Modern Politics and Modern current events--New Rule.

The official rule from Rules & Proper Etiquette of the American Civil War Forum is
POLITICS & RELIGION - Any discussion that relates to either Politics or Religion, and does not directly relate to the topic of the American Civil War, is forbidden. Please take any such discussions to a more appropriate website. Common modern topics such as preservation, battlefields, monuments, & period politics and religion are allowed in appropriate forums. (Added 5/2013)​

I don't see how it would work. I can see how people can discuss religion and its relation to the WBTS, but:
1) theology is theology, I don't see how essential points and differences between theologies has really changed since the American Civil War.
2) certain, if not many, theological thoughts that have not changed since the WBTS ,are likely to be extremely offensive to other religions and/or sects.

I agree with John and strongly vote NO.

I don't see how it would work. I can see how people can discuss religion and its relation to the WBTS, but:
1) theology is theology, I don't see how essential points and differences between theologies has really changed since the American Civil War.
2) certain, if not many, theological thoughts that have not changed since the WBTS ,are likely to be extremely offensive to other religions and/or sects.

I agree with John and strongly vote NO.

There was a slave oriented theology in the South. There were theological breakups between Northern and Southern churches of several dominations. There were revivals among the soldiers. There was a theology of defending ones homeland and feeling that God was on both sides. Historical discussions of theology like that are OK. Anything outside of historical discussions and limited to the time frame of the American Civil War(WBTS) is going to be closed and deleted by the moderators.

Thanks for your feed, all y'all.

What about a forum instead called "The Chaplain's Tent," where prayer meets sermons and Bible study? The rule would be to study and/or teach from the Bible using only the old King James Version or other ACW period versions of the Bible. Studies and teachings could relate to period issues like what the Bible says on slavery; on rebellion against authority and independence; on vices like gambling, prostitution and drinking; and so forth.

Maybe something like that would be more on point and appropriate for CWT.

I'd like your feedback on this revised concept.

Thanks!

I think the "Chaplain's Tent" would be interesting. Religion was such an important part of Civil War soldiers' lives that I think it is appropriate. Although, admittedly, it might have some controversial things that could get out of hand, as already pointed out. But I trust the mods; if one is made, the mods will take good care of it.

What about a forum instead called "The Chaplain's Tent," where prayer meets sermons and Bible study? The rule would be to study and/or teach from the Bible using only the old King James Version or other ACW period versions of the Bible. Studies and teachings could relate to period issues like what the Bible says on slavery; on rebellion against authority and independence; on vices like gambling, prostitution and drinking; and so forth.

Maybe something like that would be more on point and appropriate for CWT.

I'd like your feedback on this revised concept.

Thanks!
Honestly, as important as theology and religion are to many of us, I still don't see how this can generate much input unless the scope is expanded beyond the ACW. I just think CWT is the wrong place for this. Is there a particular reason why you've chosen CWT for this?

What about a forum instead called "The Chaplain's Tent," where prayer meets sermons and Bible study? The rule would be to study and/or teach from the Bible using only the old King James Version or other ACW period versions of the Bible. .......

What about CW soldiers that read from texts that were not King James or not even Christians? Won't this exclude them from the discussion?

Again I strongly vote NO!

Just to comment about the problem of non-Christians participating in the Chaplain's Tent (which I think is an interesting proposal). None of my CW ancestors were Christians except for the Baptist Catawbas from South Carolina. The heathens seemed to get along all right with the believers! :D There were always revivals, sermons, services and not much left over for non-Christians. But nobody seemed to bother the Jews or atheists or anybody else about their religion, or lack thereof. If they could be tolerant in that day, I'm sure we can be tolerant in this day. :smile:

...But nobody seemed to bother the Jews or atheists or anybody else about their religion, or lack thereof. If they could be tolerant in that day, I'm sure we can be tolerant in this day. :smile:

Sorry but my understanding of history is a high level of lack of tolerance of both religious and ethnic differences. Lets not forget General Grant's http://www.ask.com/wiki/General_Order_No._11_(1862)?o=2801&qsrc=999 as well as the prejudice and actions against ethnic groups such as the Irish, Oriental, and African Americans. During the American Civil War various groups were on the receiving end of rather nasty stuff, lets not mistake fear for tolerance.

Lets not sanitize history. There are still a lot of ethnic and religious open sores from the period of the American Civil War, lets not poke fingers in those sores by having a one-sided religious forum that could be interpreted as a continuation of Civil War era religious ethnocentrism, daily persecution and prejudices, and ethnocentric insensitivity. I still strongly vote NO!

Instead I propose a forum discussing American Civil War period's religious, ethnic and cultural ethnocentrism resulting in daily persecution of any religious or cultural group perceived as different.

"Sermons and Bible study" bothers me. It sounds more like "preaching" than "studying", which is the main purpose here for most of us, I think.

Speaking with non-Christian friends, no one seems to be particularly bothered by that aspect of it -- they are used to being slighted and forced to listen to (and ignore) "Christian" preaching. For better or worse, "here we go again" seems to be the most negative reaction, unless some deliberately "anti-'whatever'" content is encountered.

Genuine ACW related topics -- including what the people of the time interpreted the Bible as saying on any relevant topic, might easilly be opened in another forum -- where it can be quickly squelched when it gets out of hand (as it probably will).

Such a forum is simply inappropriate for CWT.

jno

Oh I don't know on the tolerance quotient. Tough crowd, some of them. There were sections of the country where Catholics, it was taught, were worshipping Satan himself and a mixed marraige was one where a Presbyterian and a Methodist had to jolly well elope. One of the reasons there were so many Methodist churches in that era is because each one felt they had THE ear of Gawd himself, much less those d*m Episcopalians in the next block. Like I said, rough crowd. I just don't see where a forum on Civil War era religion across the board is relevent regardless? Please do not take offence, not meant to be offensive. ( My battle-ax of a Methodist grgrgrandmother would have scared the bejeesis outa me had I met her, not sure I would like to dig her up and ask her why she believed whatever it was which seemed to send her straight up the wall about Gawd's other creatures. ) Possibly religion was used as a reason for going to war sometimes, mostly it was politics, loyalty, patriotism- the draft?

Yes, I'd have to vote 'no' also, please excuse. I do offer prayers when someone's ill or grieving, was raised that way. Other than that, conversations on the subject feel pretty personal, as do witnessing them, kind of iew also.

I will have to play Devils Advocate ... whoops :devil: . at any rate a theology thread pertaining to the period would cover chaplains, slavery, the many temperance societies and the great revival. Masons and other topics could be included. Not to mention Jewish faith. I would be interested in hearing about Muslims who served or other faiths.

I will have to play Devils Advocate ... whoops :devil: . at any rate a theology thread pertaining to the period would cover chaplains, slavery, the many temperance societies and the great revival. Masons and other topics could be included. Not to mention Jewish faith. I would be interested in hearing about Muslims who served or other faiths.

That in my humble opinion, would be a great improvement over a category dedicated potentially to allow proselytizing one edition of one religious book.

Image lack of understanding..jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back