- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
cwt presents: Theodore Savas
In a Pre-recorded Video Presentation

Wed, July 29, 2020 on YouTube
The Topic for this meeting is:
Publishing Books about the American Civil War
Watch Right Now!

Theodore Savas is the Managing Director of Historical Book Publisher: Savas Beatie, LLC

Savas Beatie

Last edited:

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
So much fun!!!! Thanks to everyone who joined in! And thanks to Ted Savas @Militarybooks and to @CivilWarTalk for putting on this great series of live virtual programs!

Mike will draw the book winners from the list of participants and we will post it here soon. Mike is camping so it may be a day or two before the winners are posted.

Thanks @NH Civil War Gal for helping out tonight as a moderator for the program!

Last edited:

alan polk

2nd Lieutenant
So much fun!!!! Thanks to everyone who joined in! And thanks to Ted Savas @Militarybooks and to @CivilWarTalk for putting on this great series of live virtual programs!

Mike will draw the book winners from the list of participants and we will post it here soon. Mike is camping so it may be a day or two before the winners are posted.

Thanks @NH Civil War Gal for helping out tonight as a moderator for the program!

You did a great job, Laura! And thanks @Militarybooks, you were very informative and knowledgeable! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Thanks for joining in Alan. It was great to see you! I mean its fun to communicate through the CivilWarTalk forum regularly, but every now and then, it's nice to put names with faces and have a chance to talk with people. I thoroughly enjoyed Ted's presentation and everyone's questions were awesome! Thanks to everyone who participated!

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
CONTENTS OF THE CHAT LOG
We weren't able to get to all the questions posted in the chat log, so @Militarybooks has graciously agreed to answer questions in this thread. Here is the content copied from the chat log. If you asked a question and I don't know your CivilWarTalk username, I will post your first name and first initial of your last name in front of your Q. If you will PM your username, Ill be happy to correct in the thread so Ted can tag you in the reply. Thanks!

Will K. - I am a retired newspaper editor and a would-be regimental history author. I have been researching a Civil War regiment for several years. The book is about 35% done. My question: When is the right time to look for a publisher and in particular, what does Savas Beatie need to see before they consider getting involved? What is the procedure? Thanks much, and looking forward to the talk. Best regards

Gary B. - Trans-Miss please

@NH Civil War Gal - Where do you see the market going age wise and appeal wise. Do you see a younger generation interested in the Civil War generally OR in a niche of the Civil War?

@NH Civil War Gal - The War Outside My Window was an incredible twist of a new presentation and captured my attention instantly. Do have other books coming along that grab like that?

David V.
- Question: Other than following guidelines and using good sources, and writing a good book, what makes a book more likely to be selected for publishing?

Toby P. - Do you assist with obtaining permissions for illustrations if needed or do you expect the author do already have done that?

@Chattahooch33 - I will buy a book just for one single good map. I'm a visual learner and live geography so I have to have maps.

Derrick L. - Just finished Champion Hill by Tim Smith. Loved all the maps!

Shane R. - I read my first civil war book when I was 8-9 years old and was on Gettysburg and that got me hooked. 25 years later I love history yet and have 2 full shelves of civil war books

@Chattahooch33 - thanks for that, Derrick. I'm in the market for a Champions Hill book and now I'll look for that one.

John R. - Gottfried's map books by themselves are great like when reading Gordon Rhea's Wilderness with Gottfried's Maps of the Wilderness is a perfect companion.

Shane R. - I love to read books with a lot of maps because it helps me understand terrain and what happened and why.

Derrick L. - @Chattahooch33 , you will love it!

@Chattahooch33 - I also like maps that show present day locations. like the Preservation Trust maps.

Shane R. - same here

John R. - @Chattahooch33 Manassas has great overlay maps. You can lay the current topography over an 1861-1862 map.

@Chattahooch33 - I need that for the Atlanta area.

@NH Civil War Gal - Overlay maps are my favorite because it makes it more real being able to see what was present 175-years-ago vs now.

@Chattahooch33 - I can't get enough regimental histories

Shane R. - I love Gettysburg books. The peach orchard book was one of the most well written books I've ever read.

John R. - I have gotten into smaller campaigns. Emerging Civil War has been great for that. But oddly enough, troop movements, driving down roads that the troops marched on and seeing unknown places is outstanding.

@major bill - How many Gettysburg books can one person have?

Shane R. - I have a full 5 shelf bookcase just Gettysburg books.

@major bill - You need to meet my cousin. He is a major collector of Gettysburg books. I be he has some Gettysburg books you have never seen.

@CheathamHill How does interest in western theater stuff compare to eastern? I guess that about sums up the publishing interest in the most interesting theater haha

Shane R. - my wife's uncle is a civil war writer

Claire G. - Question would you publish books about women's costume of the civil war or recreating war uniforms? Or is that not in your wheelhouse?

John R. - A new telling of Belmont: Grant's First Campaign would be awesome.

@Chattahooch33 - I'm reading the Belmont Grants moves south book now

Shane R. - I have that book just haven't got to it yet

Matt W. - Just finished it - its good.

Shane R. - thanks it looks good

@Chattahooch33 was that a question you need to know @lelliott19 ? :smile:

Gerald M. - Question - in the current environment, are books on Confederate figures less attractive to a publisher?

John H. - Question @Militarybooks how is business at this point? Gettysburg NMP has reopened, but many others (Antietam, Chickamauga/Chattanooga, etc) and many museums are still closed, and I know those are important sales channels for Savas Beatie.

Steven A. - Question Is there any interest in civil war political history?

David V. - Question @Militarybooks When graphics/maps are part of your manuscript, should we attempt them freehand, knowing they won't be used in final version?

Jonathan M. - Question Do you see a shift from tactical studies and books about battles to more human interest stories and other aspects of the battles going forward?

@CheathamHill - It's
a niche and it won't go further than those already interested :smile: And also you're competing with actual factual things that have happened

John R. - Question With Savas Beatie republishing older works, ie. Bachelder Papers and Ed Bearss Vicksburg, have you ever thought about tackling the Official Records?

@Chattahooch33 - Question: Anything on the horizon on Georgia Troops or the Atlanta Campaign?

@CheathamHill - Question: Where do you see the ACW publishing industry heading from your perspective in this current environment where facts are often ignored and revised due to the hyper reactionary culture we live in currently

@JD Mayo - Sorry I am late I didn't get a e-mail for the program

John R. - Fredericksburg and Manassas bookstores told me they are not allowed to order. They are Eastern National. Corporate told them they need to liquidate and sell what they have because they are so behind and cannot order anything until they sell a certain percentage of what is in stock.

@Chattahooch33 - I refuse to buy a digital book. I order 1-2 books a week and have absolutely no interest in digital.

@JD Mayo - I just ordered the book 30th NC Infantry and it's being shipped from Amazon.

Shane R. - same here Kevin I gotta have the actual book

@major bill - Question: Does the price of the book impact the sales? If a book cost over $40 I have to really want it.

John R. - I suggest Bigelow's Chancellorsville for a reprint

@Chattahooch33 - @Militarybooks please take my money now for the Atlanta map book!!!

@JD Mayo - Question: Will your map book have soldiers troops positions?

Shane R. - I'll be buying that to Kevin. looks like they will be getting a lot of my money over the next year lol

@Chattahooch33 - Question: has amazon helped or hurt publishers? it seems like a lot of people, admittedly myself included, but used books which I assume gives the publisher/author nothing monetarily?

@JD Mayo - Emerging Civil War Series is awesome easy reads and love to read them I have 6 copies of them.

Shane R. - I have the [ @Eric Wittenberg Seceding From Secession] book en route

@Militarybooks - Thank you, all. -- Ted

@major bill - Great meeting. Very informative.

Thanks to everyone who participated!! See you next week August 5 at 8:30 pm EDT for @kyle.dalton from the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on Medical Evacuation During the Civil War: Ambulance Drivers and Stretcher Bearers

Militarybooks

Private
Official Vendor
HI ALL THANK YOU. I WILL SHOOT SOME SHORT ANSWERS HERE. LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE OTHER QUESTIONS. -- TPS

CONTENTS OF THE CHAT LOG
We weren't able to get to all the questions posted in the chat log, so @Militarybooks has graciously agreed to answer questions in this thread. Here is the content copied from the chat log. If you asked a question and I don't know your CivilWarTalk username, I will post your first name and first initial of your last name in front of your Q. If you will PM your username, Ill be happy to correct in the thread so Ted can tag you in the reply. Thanks!

Will K. - I am a retired newspaper editor and a would-be regimental history author. I have been researching a Civil War regiment for several years. The book is about 35% done. My question: When is the right time to look for a publisher and in particular, what does Savas Beatie need to see before they consider getting involved? What is the procedure? Thanks much, and looking forward to the talk. Best regards.

Hi WK. Replied to live on zoom

Gary B. - Trans-Miss please

GB. Replied to live on zoom

@NH Civil War Gal - Where do you see the market going age wise and appeal wise. Do you see a younger generation interested in the Civil War generally OR in a niche of the Civil War?

I think it has stabilized, and I am beginning to see younger(ish) folks interested. When 22k people are part of the American Civil War forum on FB, and the same number here, there is tremendous potential. TALK ABOUT IT. SHARE BOOKS WITH OTHERS.

@NH Civil War Gal - The War Outside My Window was an incredible twist of a new presentation and captured my attention instantly. Do have other books coming along that grab like that?

Nothing like that. It was a one of a kind discovery and publication that gets better with each slow (SLOW) read.... audio coming soon. And YA version so tell your home-schooling and teaching friends.

David V.
- Question: Other than following guidelines and using good sources, and writing a good book, what makes a book more likely to be selected for publishing?

If the author is active on social media and the speaking circuit.

Toby P.
- Do you assist with obtaining permissions for illustrations if needed or do you expect the author do already have done that?

Typically no unless we need to be.

@Chattahooch33 - I will buy a book just for one single good map. I'm a visual learner and live geography so I have to have maps.

The SB Military Atlas series. https://www.savasbeatie.com/military-reference/

Derrick L. - Just finished Champion Hill by Tim Smith. Loved all the maps!

Thank you. I did those way back when. :smile: Please leave a review and please tell others.

Shane R.
- I read my first civil war book when I was 8-9 years old and was on Gettysburg and that got me hooked. 25 years later I love history yet and have 2 full shelves of civil war books

Excellent

@Chattahooch33 - thanks for that, Derrick. I'm in the market for a Champions Hill book and now I'll look for that one.

https://www.savasbeatie.com/champion-hill-decisive-battle-for-vicksburg/
John R.
- Gottfried's map books by themselves are great like when reading Gordon Rhea's Wilderness with Gottfried's Maps of the Wilderness is a perfect companion.

Yes, they unlock everything else written on the subject

Shane R.
- I love to read books with a lot of maps because it helps me understand terrain and what happened and why.

exactly

Derrick L.
- @Chattahooch33 , you will love it!

@Chattahooch33 - I also like maps that show present day locations. like the Preservation Trust maps.

Shane R. - same here

John R. - @Chattahooch33 Manassas has great overlay maps. You can lay the current topography over an 1861-1862 map.

@Chattahooch33 - I need that for the Atlanta area.

@NH Civil War Gal - Overlay maps are my favorite because it makes it more real being able to see what was present 175-years-ago vs now.

@Chattahooch33 - I can't get enough regimental histories.

Good ones are hard to come by

Shane R.
- I love Gettysburg books. The peach orchard book was one of the most well written books I've ever read.

Thanks Shane

John R.
- I have gotten into smaller campaigns. Emerging Civil War has been great for that. But oddly enough, troop movements, driving down roads that the troops marched on and seeing unknown places is outstanding.

Yes, it makes a big difference. ECW is awesome

@major bill - How many Gettysburg books can one person have?

Not enough. :smile:

Shane R.
- I have a full 5 shelf bookcase just Gettysburg books.

@major bill - You need to meet my cousin. He is a major collector of Gettysburg books. I be he has some Gettysburg books you have never seen.

@CheathamHill How does interest in western theater stuff compare to eastern? I guess that about sums up the publishing interest in the most interesting theater haha

Western interest in the past decade has skyrocketed. And it is long overdue. That theater is fascinating and just as interesting as the Eastern Theater.

Shane R.
- my wife's uncle is a civil war writer

Claire G. - Question would you publish books about women's costume of the civil war or recreating war uniforms? Or is that not in your wheelhouse?

Sorry Claire, it just isn't in our wheelhouse. Don't know how to sell it!

John R.
- A new telling of Belmont: Grant's First Campaign would be awesome.

Hughes's book is pretty good. Is there a lot more to say? I don't know. Nat Hughes was a good friend of mine. Used to stay with him in Chattanooga. Miss him. A real class act.

@Chattahooch33 - I'm reading the Belmont Grants moves south book now

Shane R. - I have that book just haven't got to it yet

Matt W. - Just finished it - its good.

Shane R. - thanks it looks good

@Chattahooch33 was that a question you need to know @lelliott19 ? :smile:

Gerald M. - Question - in the current environment, are books on Confederate figures less attractive to a publisher?

No. People who like that history will keep reading it, and I have no intention of not publishing it because I love it as well. It is our history, like it, hate it, or something else. It is what it is.

John H. - Question @Militarybooks how is business at this point? Gettysburg NMP has reopened, but many others (Antietam, Chickamauga/Chattanooga, etc) and many museums are still closed, and I know those are important sales channels for Savas Beatie.

Business is hard because 95% of our accounts remain closed. Our customers have been TREMENDOUS and without direct sales through the website it would be more than difficult. Hours have been reduced substantially, but mine have doubled. Buying direct from small publishers is KEY. When we disappear--so do all these titles. Who is going to publish them with the love, attention, and care that SB and a couple others provide? The answer is obvious. No one.

Look to save every penny on a mattress or car or couch. When it comes to unique craft items like books....go to the source. It matters a lot and it supports YOUR love. I buy books to--and I go to the source--never Amazon. Thank you.

Steven A. - Question Is there any interest in civil war political history?

There is, but we can't sell it well the way we are built Steve.

David V. - Question @Militarybooks When graphics/maps are part of your manuscript, should we attempt them freehand, knowing they won't be used in final version?

That is not necessary UNLESS there is something unique or special you need to get across to the cartographer.

Jonathan M. - Question Do you see a shift from tactical studies and books about battles to more human interest stories and other aspects of the battles going forward?

Not really. The latter are interesting and interest is growing, but strategy and tactics fascinate at a different level.

@CheathamHill - It's
a niche and it won't go further than those already interested :smile: And also you're competing with actual factual things that have happened

John R. - Question With Savas Beatie republishing older works, ie. Bachelder Papers and Ed Bearss Vicksburg, have you ever thought about tackling the Official Records?

We are considering the 3-vol. Set on Gettysburg but the expense is high and not sure if we can charge enough to cover the trouble. MAYBE

@Chattahooch33 - Question: Anything on the horizon on Georgia Troops or the Atlanta Campaign?

Yes: The Maps of the Atlanta Campaign is in the very early stages. And we are relaunching this:

https://www.savasbeatie.com/atlanta-campaign-essays/

@CheathamHill - Question: Where do you see the ACW publishing industry heading from your perspective in this current environment where facts are often ignored and revised due to the hyper reactionary culture we live in currently

I think we will whether it fine, but when I see "historians" calling for the destruction of statues, it is more than troubling. I will leave it at that. You can decide how you handle that discovery.

@JD Mayo - Sorry I am late I didn't get a e-mail for the program

John R. - Fredericksburg and Manassas bookstores told me they are not allowed to order. They are Eastern National. Corporate told them they need to liquidate and sell what they have because they are so behind and cannot order anything until they sell a certain percentage of what is in stock.

Yes, we have been told that. EN is one of our LARGEST customers and for months haven't ordered a book. Very difficult

@Chattahooch33 - I refuse to buy a digital book. I order 1-2 books a week and have absolutely no interest in digital.

I am a print guy too. Digital has leveled off, but is still strong. When I go on vacation I take one good book. My wife takes her Kindle.

@JD Mayo - I just ordered the book 30th NC Infantry and it's being shipped from Amazon.

Shane R. - same here Kevin I gotta have the actual book

@major bill - Question: Does the price of the book impact the sales? If a book cost over $40 I have to really want it.

Big time. We have stats that show under 30 is X, over is Y, get about 35 and it is Z, etc. so this is why price is important and length, and labor to put it all together and print is critically important.

John R.
- I suggest Bigelow's Chancellorsville for a reprint.

Could be a good one. In color.

@Chattahooch33 - @Militarybooks please take my money now for the Atlanta map book!!!

LOL

@JD Mayo - Question: Will your map book have soldiers troops positions?

They all do. yes.

Shane R.
- I'll be buying that to Kevin. looks like they will be getting a lot of my money over the next year lol

@Chattahooch33 - Question: has amazon helped or hurt publishers? it seems like a lot of people, admittedly myself included, but used books which I assume gives the publisher/author nothing monetarily?

Both, but overall it hurts us deeply. Amazon demands a 52% discount off retail. The distributor takes 35% of what is left. The publisher and author get the rest. Run the math and see how that works. Buying a used book means the author and publisher don't get paid. And that is okay--it is fair because the book was bought at some point. But Amazon and other places opened up everyone's closets so more are sold used today. Hurts the industry in general and small specialty publishers in particular.

@JD Mayo - Emerging Civil War Series is awesome easy reads and love to read them I have 6 copies of them.

Thank you. Just 6? You have 30 more to catch up!

Shane R.
- I have the [ @Eric Wittenberg Seceding From Secession] book en route

Great book

@Militarybooks - Thank you, all. -- Ted

@major bill - Great meeting. Very informative.

Thanks to everyone who participated!! See you next week August 5 at 8:30 pm EDT for @kyle.dalton from the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on Medical Evacuation During the Civil War: Ambulance Drivers and Stretcher Bearers
[/QUOTE]

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron

Militarybooks

Private
Official Vendor