CWT Presents Theodore P. Savas - The Lifeblood of the Confederate War Machine: George Washington Rains, the Augusta Powder Works, and the Failures of the Union Hi

Added to Calendar: 05/12/21

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1619742593702.png
Wednesday, May 12, 2021, at 8:30pm EDT
CivilWarTalk Presents:
Theodore P. Savas
A Free Live Video Presentation
The Lifeblood of the Confederate War Machine:
George Washington Rains, the Augusta Powder Works,

and the Failures of the Union High Command

George Washington Rains is the most important personality of the Civil War you've probably never heard of. Without him, there would have been no long and bloody war, no Vicksburg or Gettysburg, and Robert E. Lee would be but a footnote in history. Abraham Lincoln would have completed his second term (if there was one), and U. S. Grant would have never reached the White House. Rains organized, built, and operated the only major gunpowder factory in the Confederacy--a two-mile complex that enabled the South to fight for four long years. Its internal daily records, coupled with Rains' private writings, reveal stunning facts unknown to nearly every historian who has written on the war. From this day forth, you will never look at Union strategy and command decisions the same way.

Theodore P. Savas graduated from The University of Iowa College of Law in 1986 (With Distinction), practiced law in Silicon Valley for many years, and taught business and history classes at the college level for about 20 years. He has also been working in the publishing industry since 1990, and together with the late Russel H. Beatie founded Savas Beatie in January 2004. Savas is the author or editor of fourteen books (published in seven languages), including A Guide to the Battles of the American Revolution, Hunt and Kill: U-505 and the U-Boat War in the Atlantic, and Never for Want of Powder: The Confederate Powder Works in Augusta, Georgia. His hobbies include scuba diving, smoking good cigars, drinking quality gin, and playing bass and keyboards in the hard rock band Arminius. [AR - MIN - EE - US]. He is married to the lovely Zoe.

REGISTER TO RESERVE YOUR SEAT
Seating is limited. You don't have to be a member of CivilWarTalk to attend.
Don't forget to mark the date on your calendar.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting, I have never heard him speak, and because he has been such a influential Civil War publisher, I have always wondered and been interested in what he is all about. I will definitely have to listen to this one. Plus it is always fascinating how the Confederates managed to figure out the logistics on these powder works "from scratch." Thanks for getting this program!

Sounds interesting, I have never heard him speak, and because he has been such a influential Civil War publisher, I have always wondered and been interested in what he is all about. I will definitely have to listen to this one. Plus it is always fascinating how the Confederates managed to figure out the logistics on these powder works "from scratch." Thanks for getting this program!
This is Ted Savas. Many thanks, and make sure and introduce yourself when we all check in.

--tps

I feel that I'm really loosing out by not participating in these Wednesday night lecture/broadcast things. But my Wednesday nights are already reserved for other things. We're one of the few local churchs that hold services on Wed. Nights. Sorry to miss this one, This sounds like an interesting topic.

One thing I'm particularly curious about in regards to this topic is how much the Union was aware of it. Of course, even if they were aware, I'm not sure when it would have been feasible for the Union to reach Augusta before late 1864 - after Sherman captured Atlanta, and at the cost of postponing the March to the Sea.

I will try to attend this one.

I feel that I'm really loosing out by not participating in these Wednesday night lecture/broadcast things. But my Wednesday nights are already reserved for other things. We're one of the few local churchs that hold services on Wed. Nights. Sorry to miss this one, This sounds like an interesting topic.
@Polloco, I'm on the opposite side of the fence from you - I TRY to schedule my talks on Wednesday nights, because the Baptist minister and his wife and their 6 children (all under 10 years old) that I share a roof with have Bible Study on Wednesday nights, so I know they won't be heard on Zoom! I agree with you, though, doing them on a different night every so often might enable other people to attend.

(Maybe we could have talks TWICE a week!)

One thing I'm particularly curious about in regards to this topic is how much the Union was aware of it. Of course, even if they were aware, I'm not sure when it would have been feasible for the Union to reach Augusta before late 1864 - after Sherman captured Atlanta, and at the cost of postponing the March to the Sea.

I will try to attend this one.
They knew everything about it. I have all the proof. Come join in and have some fun.

Time to register!

Plan to join us tomorrow night at 8:30 pm EDT when we feature Theodore P. Savas on one of his favorite topics --- The Lifeblood of the Confederate War Machine: George Washington Rains, the Augusta Powder Works, and the Failures of the Union High Command

REGISTER NOW! Seating is limited.

Please REGISTER and join us tonight when our guest will be Mr. Theodore P Savas, principal at Savas Beatie publishing and an accomplished author himself, on Raines and the Confederate Powder Works at Augusta.

REGISTER HERE!

Last chance! It's not too late. Join us in one hour, when our guest will be Mr. Theodore P Savas, principal at Savas Beatie publishing and an accomplished author himself, on Raines and the Confederate Powder Works at Augusta.
REGISTER HERE!

Back