Then and Now of Brady Photograph on Little Round Top

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
This is one of Mathew Brady's great photographs taken on Little Round Top o/a July 15, 1863. Once again, he called on his photogenic assistant to to give the scene some perspective by posing behind the works built by the 91st Pa. Witihin the frame of Brady's image are some interesting details including an empty wooden ammo box at the bottom of the slope in front of the assistant The boulder at top right with the rail in front became the base for the Warren statue, now known as Warren Rock. On the horizon on the left side is the distant Ziegler Grove Usually, this area on the west face of the hill is covered in overgrowrh, but fortunately, I found the area cleared on one of my previous visits and was able to the take the matching shot shown on the bottom.
*** combo.jpg

I have never seen this photo before. Had Brady arrived by then with O'Sullivan, or was it a contested piece of Gardner's portfolio?
Thanks, @Gettysburg Greg.
Lubliner.
As I understand, O'Sullivan was a member of Gardner's crew that arrived in GB on July 5, 1863 before all the bodies were buried. Brady and his assistants didn't get to GB til o/a July 15th. No casualties left to photograph. No disput about their photos as far as I know unless you could enlighten me. Thanks for the comment/question.

As I understand, O'Sullivan was a member of Gardner's crew that arrived in GB on July 5, 1863 before all the bodies were buried. Brady and his assistants didn't get to GB til o/a July 15th. No casualties left to photograph. No disput about their photos as far as I know unless you could enlighten me. Thanks for the comment/question.
No, and thank you @Gettysburg Greg, I hadn't known O'Sullivan to be under Gardner, but knew Gardner had arrived early, and do remember Brady having come later, as you said. I think I was trying to recognize the straw hat, and being the first time to witness the photo, was longing for clarity. Big help, thanks.
Lubliner.

Great work as usual Greg.

I love how the NPS is rehabilitating the field to return it to its 1863 appearance. It would be interesting to have 3 photo comparison (then/recent/now). First one being the historic photo. The second photo would be historically accurate in its composition but would be taken before any field rehab work had begun. Then the now photo would represent the field after the rehab work.

As a very frequent Gettysburg visitor over the years, at times I am speechless (tough for me) at how the battlefield has changed. A few then/recent/now photo essays would be a perfect way to show those changes.

Back