The "Zollie Tree" at Mill Springs, Kentucky

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
The "Zollie Tree" was a large white oak tree that was located on the Mill Springs Battlefield. General Felix Zollicoffer was shot from his horse and killed near this tree. His body was moved to rest under the tree. The tree served as an unofficial monument to the battle for years.

In 1902 Dorotha Burton began decorating the tree by placing an evergreen wreath around its trunk. This was in memory of General Zollicoffer and the over 100 Confederate soldiers that had been buried in a mass grave near the tree. She did this for 45 years and her family continued to do this after she no longer was able.

On June 6, 1995, the "Zollie Tree" was felled in a thunder storm. Its age, determined by rings, was estimated between 250 and 300 years old. A seedling descended from the original tree was planted on May 27, 1996 and is there now growing.

On Memorial Day to continue the tradition started by Dorotha, each year the wreath is placed by Boy Scouts in memory of the fallen

There is a marker for the "Zollie Tree" which reads:

"Felix E, Zollicoffer Brig. Gen died here Jan. 19, 1862 in Battle of Logan's Crossroads (Mill Springs). In heavy rain and smoke of battle, Zollicoffer was killed approaching USA lines, which he mistook for his own troops."

A picture of marker and the new Zollie Tree are at http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=55189

Great thread Donna. I found a couple of photos of the original tree.

zolltree.jpg

Dorotha1.jpg

Dorotha Burton Hudson decorating the "Zollie Tree," ca. 1920

Lee thanks for pictures. I thought it was neat story. Too bad the tree was hit during the storm but it did live a long time and also great they got seedling and a new "Zollie Tree" is growing.

Yeah that's quite a life span, 250-300 years. The new seedling that was taken from the original and planted appears to be growing very well.

Here is what I have found.
General Zollicoffer and I are both descendants of William MacKintosh

He is my 14th cousin 5 times removed through my fathers side of the family. I am so glad I found this post. It helped me find another ancestor I was not aware of. Thank You.

Felix Zollicoffer.jpg

Headstone.jpg

Back