Forrest The Wizard Of The Saddle And His Unlikely Accomplice

Thanks to James N. who had posted a paragraph from Wyeth's book "The life of General Nathan Bedford Forrest" I became aware that this fearless teenage girl Emma Sansom held the vigils by the body of one of Forrest's fallen men, Robert Turner.
And obviously the next day she and her sister buried him on the Sansom Family Cemetery in Gadsden. AL.

Also, I was not aware that she had named her first daughter Mattie Forrest Johnson after General Nathan Bedford Forrest. Unfortunately, the little girl lived only until the age of 5 (1866-1871). She is also buried on the Sansom Family Cemetery:

View attachment 367583
Very nice detective work.

View attachment 366976

And once again I'll take the opportunity to post a link to my thread on the subject:

Emma Sansom; brave, upstanding, dedicated, fearless, smart, cordial, and one lucky girl! To ride with NB Forrest, and to assist as well, in my world, worthy of a CSA version of a Silver Star. What a remarkable girl. I would venture to guess many girls/women in the South would/have done similar deeds for their brother's in arms.

I enjoyed this thread. I guess I can't post in Confederate Gray like I think I used to a few years back. Whoa there it is...... It warms my slightly jaded old primary pump to recognize the names of a number of contributors here. I live in Horry County SC now not terribly far from where I spent more than a few childhood summers way back shortly after the Earth's crust cooled.

I enjoyed this thread. I guess I can't post in Confederate Gray like I think I used to a few years back. Whoa there it is...... It warms my slightly jaded old primary pump to recognize the names of a number of contributors here. I live in Horry County SC now not terribly far from where I spent more than a few childhood summers way back shortly after the Earth's crust cooled.
Welcome back, Lee!! Great to see you again!!

Back