Forrest The Wizard Of The Saddle And His Unlikely Accomplice

War Horse

Captain
Member of the Year
Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
EE452647-4753-47E0-8358-5B8FAB66A634.jpeg

Many of you are familiar with Colonel Able Streight’s great mule raid. The raid ended with Streight surrendering his forces to Nathan Bedford Forrest at Lawerence, AL.
Streight was racing for Rome, GA, Forrest was ordered by General Bragg to stop Streight from accomplishing his mission of destroying interior Southern railroads. Streight’s mission and Forrest’s pursuit is a fascinating story but I’m afraid it will have to wait for another day.

This story is about Emma Sansom a beautiful little 16 year old girl who’s heroic act enabled Forrest to capture Streight and his men before they could reach safety.

Emma was born August 2, 1847 to Micajah and Levina Vann Sansom. One of 12 children. Emma’s father died in 1858 leaving Levina the lone parent of this large family. Emma had a brother who joined the Confederacy in 1861 and fought with the 19th Alabama Infantry. Emma’s family resided on a farm near Gadisden, AL.

On April 30th Forrest caught up with Streight’s rear guard commencing attacks that would last for 4 days and 4 nights. Streight managed to gain enough ground on Forrest to cross Black Creek and burn the bridge in his rear. Leaving the bridge impassable for Forrest and his men. Forrest arrived moments later in pursuit of a Yankee soldier who surrendered just short of the now smoldering bridge. Forrest stopped at the home of little Emma Sansom and inquired where the closest bridge to cross the swollen creek was located. Emma without an ounce of fear told the grey clad man the closest bridge was a 2 hour hard ride from their present location. Forrest finding this news unacceptable then asked if their was a Ford nearby he and his men could cross the Black. The little girl replied yes, there is a place less than a mile from here that she has seen the cows cross the creek when the water is up. Forrest asked the young girl how he could find this Ford. Emma replied, saddle my horse and I’ll show you. Forrest looking down at the little girl replied, there isn’t time to saddle your horse, jump up here with me and guide me to this ford. Without hesitation Emma jumped up on the back of King Philip behind Forrest. At this time Emma’s mother noticed what was going on and ran down pleading with Forrest not to take her little girl. Forrest looking down at the woman consoled her in a kind and calm voice saying he would not allow any harm to come to her and promised to return her unharmed as soon as she had shown him the location of the lost Ford. At Forrest’s reassurances Mrs Sansom allowed Forrest to ride off with little Emma in tow.
As Forrest and Emma rode along a branch of Black Creek, Emma was pointing out openings where she felt Forrest and his men would likely come under fire from the Yankees. As Forrest and Emma approached the point where the branch met the main creek, Emma leaped from the back of King Philip with amazing athletic agility. Surprised by the girls action Forrest immediately dismounted and joined the young lady as she ly prown on the ground crawling on knees and elbows under brush towards the creek. At this time the two were spotted by Yankee soldiers who began firing at them. Forrest remembering his promise to the girls mother lifted Emma putting her behind him saying. “You can be my guide but you cannot be my Brest work”. Emma then pointed out the location of the ford.
As Forrest and Emma rode back to the farm Emma asked Forrest. What are those buzzing and whistling sounds. Forrest calmly explained to Emma, those are the sounds of Yankee bullets. If one were to hit you, you would likely be killed by it. fortunately none found their mark. As Forrest delivered young Emma back to her mother unharmed, he asked the young girl for a lock of her hair to remember her bravery by. Forrest then request a piece of paper and pen. He then wrote these words.

“Headquarters in saddle May 8, 1863. My highest regards to Mss Emma Sansom for her gallant conduct while my forse was skirmishing with Federals across Black Creek near Gadisden, AL”. Forrest then signed the note giving it to young Emma as a keep sake.

Thanks to the heroic actions of Emma Sansom, Forrest and his men forded the creek at the location Emma had shown Forrest, saving he and his men close to four hours of hard riding. Forrest was able to force the surrender of Able Streight and his mule mounted men at Lawerence, AL.

The portrait above is my favorite Civil War portrait of them all. It is by artist John Paul Strain entitled “The Lost Ford”. It’s an amazingly lifelike adaptation of Forrest and young Emma mounted on King Philip. One day I will own a copy.

Of course like most fascinating Civil War stories, there are those who challenge these events ever took place. What say you?
I hope you enjoyed this little known story of how a fearless 16 year old girl assisted the Wizard of the saddle in apprehending Colonel Able Streight and his men in the famed Lightning Mule Brigade.

Last edited:
Such a great story and I find it perfectly credible fot the most part. I had heard of it before, but not Forrest's sentence "You can be my guide but not my breast work". That is charming.
Two things might be dubious, though, or at least I wondered. Would the commanding general indeed bring the young girl home himself? Wouldn't he rather sent an orderly to return her after she showed him the spot? The other thing is, would a 16 year old country girl really not know the sound of bullets buzzing and whistling by? Both details might be a bit of artistic impression to emphasize Forrest's gallant chivalry and Emma's innocent good will and add some romance to an otherwise pretty common situation of a local citizen helping the the Army by explaining and showing local conditions. We must not forget that the countryside had been not as perfectly mapped as it is today and some "roads" may have been barely recognizable to a stranger. But as it is, the story is a gem and at least in me the goal is perfectly achieved! Especially when illustrated by that beautiful Strain painting. Good luck with hunting a copy!

Last edited:
Such a great story and I find it perfectly credible fot the most part. I had heard of it before, but not Forrest's sentence "You can be my guide but not my breast work". That is charming.
Two things might be dubious, though, or at least I wondered. Would the commanding general indeed bring the young girl home himself? Wouldn't he rather sent an ordetly to return her after she showed him the spot? The other thing is, would a 16 year old country girl really not know the sound of bullets buzzing and whistling by? Both details might be a bit of artistic impression to emphasize Forrest's gallant chivalry and Emma's innocent good will and add some romance to an otherwise pretty common situation of a local citizen helping the the Army by explaining and showing local conditions. We must not forget that the countryside had been not as perfectly mapped as it is today and some "roads" may have been barely recognizable to a stranger. But as it is, the story is a gem and at least in me the goal is perfectly achieved! Especially when illustrated by that beautiful Strain painting. Good luck with hunting a copy!
Perhaps you are correct. Forrest returning the girl himself is at least consistent with all the accounts I have read. As for the whistling and buzzing sounds. I’d don’t find it hard to believe little Emma did not know them even being a country girl. Take it from experience. A whistling sound means the Bullet was close. A buzzing sound means the bullet was within feet perhaps inch’s from you. She may have been accustom to the sound of gun fire but not may people even country foke are a custom to those sounds.

I’d don’t find it hard to believe little Emma did not know them even being a country girl. Take it from experience. A whistling sound means the Bullet was close. A buzzing sound means the bullet was within feet perhaps inch’s from you.
Wow! I did not know that! Of course you are right then, she was probably accustomed to the sound of gunfire, but not on the receiving end!! I had not thought of that. So Emma and Forrest really were in the thick of it before he decided to return her to her Mom... that was probably the most exciting episode in her life!

Wow! I did not know that! Of course you are right then, she was probably accustomed to the sound of gunfire, but not on the receiving end!! I had not thought of that. So Emma and Forrest really were in the thick of it before he decided to return her to her Mom... that was probably the most exciting episode in her life!
That has been my experience. Most people, thank God have never heard those sounds. Thank you for your reply.

Two things might be dubious, though, or at least I wondered. Would the commanding general indeed bring the young girl home himself? Wouldn't he rather sent an orderly to return her after she showed him the spot? The other thing is, would a 16 year old country girl really not know the sound of bullets buzzing and whistling by? Both details might be a bit of artistic impression to emphasize Forrest's gallant chivalry and Emma's innocent good will and add some romance to an otherwise pretty common situation of a local citizen helping the the Army by explaining and showing local conditions. We must not forget that the countryside had been not as perfectly mapped as it is today and some "roads" may have been barely recognizable to a stranger. But as it is, the story is a gem and at least in me the goal is perfectly achieved! Especially when illustrated by that beautiful Strain painting. Good luck with hunting a copy!

Forrest had promised Emma's mother, who was understandably concerned, that he would take care of Emma and return her, so he probably felt the need to do so personally.

A country girl would no doubt have heard occasional gunshots from hunters, but hopefully they would not be aiming anywhere near her!

That was a pretty "neat note" that Forrest supposedly had handwritten. Grammar, spelling and all for a man that was supposed to be semi-illiterate.. I suppose an orderly could have written it as Forrest dictated it then have Forrest just sign it. I have heard that story before but haven't heard the part of the two being under gunfire. And yes I'd love to get my hands on a copy of that painting too.

There used to be a grizzled, hilarious to be around veteran I knew at reenactments originally from Alabama, and he and a Louisiana gentleman that did a lot to get me into reenacting and was mentor, would sit around the campfire talking of this story, and that vet would speak with pride because Sansom was from Alabama like himself, but my mentor would always point out, she moved to Texas! The State of Alabama supposedly gifted Emma a lot of land for her deed, but carpetbaggers during Reconstruction saw to it she didn't keep it.

Emma Sansom is actually buried less than 20 miles from me, here in lovely Upshur County, Texas. I've never actually been to her grave, (feel free to start screaming "Shame!" at me), but as it was always told to me, her grave is hard to miss as she has the tallest headstone in that small country cemetery. The marker being sent by the State of Alabama if I remember right.

I think the only time I was near her gravesite was when I got myself a very prominent scar rebuilding a small highway you turn off to go to that cemetery. (I get shivers down my spine thinking of it, the hospital, now gone, I drove myself there bleeding all over the place, and they sewed my hand up before the medicine deadened the wound. You talk about pain!!!)

1595349953062.png

… Emma Sansom is actually buried less than 20 miles from me, here in lovely Upshur County, Texas. I've never actually been to her grave, (feel free to start screaming "Shame!" at me), but as it was always told to me, her grave is hard to miss as she has the tallest headstone in that small country cemetery. The marker being sent by the State of Alabama if I remember right...
And once again I'll take the opportunity to post a link to my thread on the subject:

View attachment 366976

And once again I'll take the opportunity to post a link to my thread on the subject:

I knew that was coming!!!

You do realize I'm saying my crazy self will drive hundreds of miles to see Forrest's grave, but not fifteen or twenty to see Emma Sansom's?
No, I did not realize what you were saying. I thought you meant you didn’t realize she was buried so close to you. For what’s its worth I’d drive a considerable distance to visit Emma. :smile:

Back